Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firebox Repair Question

Options
civil eggineer
civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a crack in my firebox. It isn't worth replacing but I thought about drilling a couple of holes on each side and attaching a wire between them. Anyone else ever try this with any success?

Comments

• The thermal expansion and contraction of the wire might not be the best solution. Would epoxy hold the high heat of the firebox?
  • no reason not to try it.

you just are looking to hold it together a bit anyay.

it would expand and contract, but the effect would be negligible. not like you would be taking it out while hot and be upset because it was somewhat looser than when cool.

the metal might not last through the high heat cycling though. cast iron does well, but i haven't seen cast-iron wire in a long time ( :ermm: :huh: ? )

might try something fairly thick

i drilled out my small firebox. it will wreck your drill bit, unless you (like i didn't) use the correct drill
  • Bonehead
    Bonehead Posts: 113
    Options
    I have a plate that is held together with JB weld.
    I have been using it for close to a year without any problems :)
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I thought it might drill easy like soft plaster. I may give it a try. All I am trying to do is keep all the pieces together when I lift it out of the egg. When I first got it I thought about cutting the firebox in half vertically. I though it would allow for the thermal expansion without finding its random stress relief areas. Thanks for all your replies.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Tim, First I want to get my warranty replacement before I do anything to the firebox. My fire-box is cracked almost all the way around and down so I'm not sure if I can find enough wire let alone drill that many holes. It seems like it will crumble apart at anytime. Tim
  • it drills easily, but the tip will degrade.

if you have a ceramic bit, it will be fine.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Bonehead,

Not sure having JB Weld around your family's food is a good thing.

My 2¢

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• i am pretty sure it's recommended by the BGE folks themselves..
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    count me in the J B fan club. I used this last month to repair my small firebox.
    IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Fireboxes don't crumble. They crack and break due to stresses caused by heating/cooling, but the material itself doesn't degrade and crumble. My firebox is in four pieces and has been for 8 years. Nothing else has happened since the cracks turned into the breaks 8 years ago.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't bother. It's going to break into some number of pieces and then it will probably not change any further after that. I seldom take the firebox out since I don't see a need to. I can do all the cleaning that's necessary simply scraping ashes out the front. Even if I take the firebox out, I take the four pieces out and put the four pieces back. It isn't a big deal. I would be afraid that drilling holes into it would create new areas where stress could cause more cracks and breaks. I'd just use it as it. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I've had jbweld repairs done on three of my cookers (well two if you count the fact that I sold Miss Penny to Celtic Wolf) and I'm still here. I don't recall having read anything about JB Weld giving off any bad fumes or anything when I looked into it. Obviously if anyone knows otherwise, it would be good to know...
    The Naked Whiz