Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I can't get to 750 degrees

Options
The Shed
The Shed Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First of all, Thanks to all of you for some great information
I got an Egg for Christmas 2 weeks ago from my wife, I got a great deal at a distributor and she agreed to the purchase even though it was 2 weeks early.
I have had some successful cooks and some not so successful (pizza) but I will keep at it.
I can't get to 750 degrees! Thanks to Grandpa Grubs (I live in Utah also) I can get to 650 quicker with the purchase of a small hand held fan. Yes, I have good air flow and have built tee-pees over my starter cubes etc...
Tonight I T-rexed some 1.5 inch NY strips as per T-rex's method. They were fantastic even though I only got to 650 degrees (it was quick to 650 with all of your help).
Any ideas on how to get to 750? My altitude is about 4,500 above sea level and I have been reading this forum for 2 weeks taking in alot of your advice.
BTW, the Tenderloin Roast I did on Christmas Eve was the best roast I (and my family) has ever had. Thank You!

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Try more lump. Don't know how much difference the elevation makes.
  • The Shed
    Options
    Should I go just above the holes in the fire box or fill it all the way to the fire ring?
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    If you load lump till it is above the firebox and even to the top of the fire ring you'll get over 750 with both vents open... provided you don't have an obstruction...
    Kent Madison MS
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Fill it to the top of the FIRERING,Not FIREBOX.But first of all remove all of your lump and then remove all of the "innards" and clean the inside of the egg completely,you should do this every couple weeks or so depending on how much you cook.When reassembling the "innards"make sure you properly align the vent in the ceramic part with the bottom vent.Other than that,,,No IDEA! :)
  • The Shed
    Options
    It appears that I have not been putting enough lump in. I will take your advice and fill er up to the top with new lump. Thanks!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Air is thinner the higher you go. The eggcellarator was designed with the Colorado folks in mind.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Where are you located?

You don't need that high of temperature, nevertheless...

Make sure your thermometer is calibrated.

The amount of lump does not determine the heat of the cook. You can reach those temperatures with lump filled to the holes in the fire box. The problem with that little lump is you won't be able to sustain the BTU's need for an extended cook.

If you are using a plate setter fill the lump to the top of the fire box or the top of the fire ring, your choice. Make absolutely sure the holes in the fire grate and fire box are not blocked or plugged with small pieces of lump.

DFMT off, screen and bottom vent door full open. Don't leave your eggs side or you will end up at 1,500°.

Light the lump in 5 places. 3, 6, 9, 12 o'clock and center.

When the lump is burning well and you are about 500° close down the lower vent some. Now place the plate setter legs down in the egg. Use some spacers and then the pizza stone. Adding the furniture will lower the dome temperature for a little while.

Let the egg regain that 500°. Now fully open the screen and lower vent door. When you reach about 700° close the screen and watch the temperature. The increase in temperature should happen pretty quickly.

If the temperature stalls you probably have some blockage in the fire grate holes. If the temperature continues to increase then adjust the lower vent to maintain the 750°.

Make sure the egg is holding your cook temperature (and not climbing). Begin your cook.

At this temperature be very careful of flashback and there will be a lot of stress on the gasket.

If you find you are burning the crust before the top is getting done, you either haven't let the dome ceramics get to temperature or you are simply cooking at too hot a temperature.

With the setup above 500° dome does a nice job cooking both the top and bottom of the pizza.
    pizza.jpg

For faster start up use a 'tunnel' into the bottom of the fire box (ask if you haven't seen the post).

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

If your lump is burning like this you won't have any problems reaching 750°. Higher levels of lump will allow a longer sustained burn. These temperatures require a lot of lump to stay burning for a long time.

smalllumptst4.jpg

GG
  • atl2indy
    Options
    I have had the same problem with my large egg. Everyone told me that I must be doing something wrong. I believed that I could have been doing something improperly until I had occasion to use a friend's side by side with mine. His heated faster and higher than mine. My egg is VERY sensitive to having everything cleaned out of it often. I also discovered that my wet/dry shop vac, when I put the hose in the exhaust mode makes an incredible accelerator. I have gotten a foot tall flame to blow out of the chimney. It is also pretty handy to vacuum the ash out between thorough cleanings. Best of luck.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Too much air forced into the lower vent can also put the fire out.

A small fan even a hair dryer at the the outside of the lower vent "may not" feed the flame in the lump.

The ash does not need to be cleaned out for every cook.

Once the egg is light and at temperature think about the lower vent opening. Maybe a quart of an inch more or less. Ash can be quite deep and still allow that amount of vent opening air to get to the lump.

In your case if you find the temperature stalling or hard to reach temperature use a wiggle rod to clear the air holes in the fire grate. As long as thereis enough oxygen below the fire grate and up into the lump the heat in the burning lump will draw the air needed to burn.

GG
  • The Shed
    Options
    I am in Sandy.

Thanks for the advice. I have been reading your posts and like your style.

Where are you? I know you are at 5,000 ft. Is that PC or Cache Valley?
  • The Shed
    Options
    Can you explain the "tunnel" you refered to in early post or send a link?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Many years ago I sold photo equipment & supplies to the colledge, police, and professional photographers up there.

I am 15 to 20 minutes south of Salt Lake.

Not sure if you have seen this post but it will help.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=782428&catid=1

GG
  • The Shed
    Options
    I will give that a try.
    Happy New Year!
  • field hand
    Options
    The small hand-held fan works wonders in getting the fire temp to where you want it, and for getting it going again if the temp drops off.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO