Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your favorite Dutch Oven recipe wanted

Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Eggheads,
I got a 7 1/4 Quart Cast Iron dutch oven for Christmas. I am looking for great recipes to try out. I know how to cook Spaghetti and Pot Roast. Any other great recipes will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Pharmeggist

Comments

• Cioppino, this is a very tasty, simple and easy cook.

eggcioppinoa.jpg

eggcioppinob.jpg

Cioppino:
    1 large onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1 large green pepper, diced
    1/3 cup parsley, chopped
    1/4 cup olive oil

In a soup pot, saute the vegetables in the oil until soft

1 8-oz. Can tomato sauce
    3 14-1/2 oz. Can cut and peeled tomatoes
    1 cup water
    10oz. Tomato juice
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp. Dried basil
    1/2 tsp. Dried oregano
    1 tsp Parsley

Add to the pot. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. If not served immediately, cool, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.

12 clams, well scrubbed (24 is better)
    1 lb. Medium shrimp – (2 pounds is better), shelled and cleaned (I use cooked and cleaned)
    1 large Dungeons crab, cleaned and broken into pieces – I can’t tell a taste difference when using real of fake crab.
    1 pound of imitation crab (works great – use 2 if you don’t want to use the whole crab)

bring soup back to a simmer. Add seafood and simmer an additional 20 minutes or until clams open and shrimp turn pink. (If using cooked shrimp – wait until clams begin to open than add shrimp).

Notes:
    If using imitation crab get some legs for looks and the stock
    Feel free to vary the seafood to what is in season.

GG
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Mmmmm,
    Nice pictures! I am sure plenty of people will be egg-spired ;) I am going to print this one out for sure :woohoo:
  • Egret's chili is a great cook in the DO.

Use the DO to make fajitas, first the meat then the onions, peppers and tomatoes and put the tortia on top of the veggies when they are about done. Fantastic taste on the tortilla (sort of a steam on them).

There are tons of recipes for the DO. If you use the lid through the whole cook in the egg you might as well just use the oven to cook the dish and save the lump.

No need to the plate setter unless you have a camp fire DO (DO with legs). The CI acts like an indirect cooking method - that is the CI distributes the heat well around the food.

I like using the DO on TJV's spider inverted. About 320° dome will give a nice simmer if liquids are used.

chili1.jpg

chili2.jpg

GG
  • Bacchus' pulled pork chili verde. He cooked for Atl eggfest...YUM! He posted the recipe on here somewhere...
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Chicken and sausage gumbo

1 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups chopped onions
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup chopped bell peppers
    1 pound smoked sausage, such as andouille or kielbasa, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    3 bay leaves
    6 cups chicken broth
    1 pound boneless chicken meat, cut into 1-inch chunks
    1 teaspoon creole seasoning
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
    1 bunch green onions chopped
    1 tablespoon file powder

Combine the oil and flour in a large cast iron or enameled cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Stirring slowly and constantly for 20 to 25 minutes, make a dark brown roux, the color of chocolate. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers and continue to stir for 4 to 5 minutes, or until wilted. Add the sausage, salt, cayenne, and bay leaves. Continue to stir for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chicken broth. Stir until the roux mixture and water are well combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.

Season the chicken with the rub and add to the pot. Simmer for 2 hours. Skim off any fat that rises to the surface. Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley, green onions, and file powder. Remove the bay leaves and serve in deep bowls over rice.

Serves 6
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Heres one that I like
    New Mexico-Style Green Chile and Pork Stew with Potatoes

2 T vegetable oil or more as needed
    3 lbs boneless lean pork, cut into ½ to ¾ inch cubes
    2 large onions, cut int6o medium dice
    5 cloves garlic, finely minced
    2 cups chicken stock
    2 cups beef stock
    ¼ cup tomato puree
    3 t 9 poblano chilies, roasted, seeded, peeled, and cut into ½ inch pieces
    1 T ground cumin
    2 t ground Mexican oregano
    2 T mild red chili powder
    2 jalapeño chilies, seeded and finely minced
    2 T green Tabasco sauce
    1 t distilled white vinegar
    2 t salt
    5 to 6 unpeeled Red Bliss potatoes or other red boiling potatoes, cut into ½ inch dice
    Warm flour tortillas and grated Monterey jack cheese for serving.

Heat the 2 T vegetable oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the pork and sauté until grey. Remove from the pan and place in a 4 quart heavy saucepan. Sauté the onions and garlic in the same pan, using a little more oil if needed. Add the cooked onions and garlic, stock, tomato puree, poblanos, cumin, oregano. And chili powder. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Add the jalapenos, Tabasco, vinegar, salt, and potatoes. Cook, covered, at a simmer, for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.

Serve in bowls, accompanied with warm flour tortillas and grated Monterey jack cheese.

Serves 10

Ross
  • Pharmeggist,
    I dedicated a Le Crueset DO that is well over 30 years to the EGG -- although the outside was in great condition, it sure takes on the "smoke" and is very hard to get clean. Cooks great, just a heads up on the exterior incase you are an OCD type person B)
  • Oh my! That does look amazing!! :ohmy: :woohoo: Copying this one for sure. Thanks for sharing.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Chili or Gumbo always work for me. I call it Scotchman's chili because the night I first did it I had had a few sips of scotch and the recipe evolved.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=652863&catid=1
  • For Christmas I just received a cookbook by Matt Pelton titled The Cast Iron Chef. It is really about DO cooking and seems to be easily adaptable to the Egg. Along with the great DO recipes on the Forum (I have to try that Cioppino) this inexpensive book may give you some ideas.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Use a little soft scrub on a sponge. The smoke discoloration comes right off.
  • Fidel
    King Ranch Chicken Casserole (not my recipe)

12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
    1 tbsp unsalted butter
    2 medium onions, chopped fine
    2 jalapeno chiles, minced
    2 tsp ground cumin
    2 (10-oz) can Ro-Tel tomatoes
    5 tbsp all-purpose flour
    1 c heavy cream
    3 c low-sodium chicken broth
    1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch slices
    2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
    4 c shredded Colbyjack cheese
    Salt and pepper
    2 1/4 c corn chips, crushed

1. Heat egg to 450 degrees. lightly coat tortillas with cooking spray and bake until slightly crisp and browned. Cool slightly, then break into bite-sized pieces.

2. Heat butter in Dutch oven. Cook onions, chiles, and cumin until lightly browned. Add tomatoes and cook until most of liquid has evaporated. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add cream and broth, bring to simmer, and cook until thickened. Stir in chicken and cook until no longer pink. Add cilantro and cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper. Remove mixture from the dutch oven.

3. Scatter half of tortilla pieces in bottom of the dutch oven. Spoon half of filling evenly over tortillas. Scatter remaining tortillas over filling, then top with remaining filling.

4. Bake until filling is bubbling, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle corn chips evenly over top and bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and serve.
  • Fidel
    Dennis Huff got me hooked on this one. Best served over some Philipino fried rice (recipe follows).

Adobo Chicken
    4 pkg (1.8 lb) boneless skinless thighs (7- 7 1/2
    lbs)
    2 onions sliced
    1 cup water
    1 cup lite soy sauce
    1 cup cider vinegar
    2 tsp Dizzy Pigs Tsunami Spin (I like the extra
    flavor it adds, if you leave it out you've got
    traditional adobo)
    2-3 Tbs crushed/chopped garlic
    1 Tbs ground pepper to taste (whole peppercorns
    are traditional- I made it that way once didn't care
    for it myself)
    1 cup brown sugar (you can adjust the sugar to
    taste)
    2-3 bay eaves
    Place an enameled cast iron pot (or a dutch oven) on a 350°-450° (dome) Egg.
    Place the raw chicken along with all the other ingredients into the pot and stir to
    thoroughly mix everything together.
    Cook covered for 30-60 minutes to allow the heat to build faster.
    Then remove the cover and cook uncovered for an additional 60-90 minutes stirring
    every 20-30 minutes and mashing the chicken with the spoon to assist in the breaking
    down of the chicken.

Phillipino Fried Rice
    6 cups Jasmine rice cooked the night before and
    left uncovered in the refridgerator to dry out.
    1/4 cup water
    salt to taste
    1 Tbs kosher or sea salt
    3 Tbs oil
    2-3 Tbs garlic.
    Cook the Jasmine rice the night before and leave uncovered in the refridgerator to dry
    out.
    Mix in ~1/4 cup of water to moisten it back up a bit
    Add salt to taste (I start with 1 tablespoon of kosher or sea salt and go from there)
    Add 3 tablespoons of oil to your wok and 2-3 tablespoons of garlic.
    Cook the the garlic just a little (don't brown it) and then add in the rice. Stir it mixing the
    garlic into the rice for about 2-3 minutes.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    lamb cobbler, made a lamb stew with appricots this weekend but no pics
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=610617&catid=1

sausage stew, this ones simple as could be, the green stuff is kale but any other cabbage would work. this is my go to stew for derby fishing with large groups

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=532360&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it