Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First real cook on the mini!

ranchonodinero
ranchonodinero Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I finally get to play with my Christmas present and do a "real" cook on the mini (I don't count the smoked cheese). It does EVERYTHING fast. Really surprised at how little lump it takes and how quickly it lights.
750803104_3kpnA-M.jpg
750803616_pR5ys-M.jpg
Got some "two for one" steaks!
750804134_znhAa-M.jpg
Threw on a little pecan for smoke-probably didn't need it.
750804707_HppFj-M.jpg
Pineapple was on sale too and it tastes pretty good grilled with the steak!
750805241_x4BGV-M.jpg
Amazing how fast the little mini comes up to temp! I was cooking for 4 so I put the first steaks in a warming drawer for a few minutes while the other steaks cooked. Have to stay on top of the temp as I have no doubt it could get really high if you don't watch it. Really going to enjoy this and can't wait to take it on a camping trip!

Comments

•  
    Congratulations. Yes, the mini is a fun egg. It sure is different seeing 'white' insides. Nice looking cook.

Go to the Ceramic Grill Store and look at a mini woo, great accessory for the mini. Makes a big difference.

Here are a couple of real fun cooks where I used the mini woo.

Brat's
    bratsonmini.jpg

brats.jpg

Grilled cheese & tuna
    tunamelt_1.jpg

tunamelt_3.jpg

GG
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    What is the max temp you can get the mini up to? I've been wondering that ever since we got our large egg
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Looks great chief!
    Another way to "skin a cat"...
    IMG_1265.jpg

I rotated these tenderloin steaks so that they each took turns roasting on top of the others.

The mini can get as hot as you want. I seldom go above 500 but I hear others say it's incredibly easy to get up to nuclear temps in no time. I also stick with used lump on the mini so that does take a little longer to heat up, but doesn't smoke.
  •  
    I have had mine up to 780° before I caught it. I don't go over 500° and usually 300° to 400°.

GG
  • Great tip on using used lump! I started it with a paper towel and olive oil and it really takes off temperature wise. Yep u got the Kim woo and will put it to use tonite maybe-thinking about some mini-pizzas. I wouldn't recommend it for a first egg, but it sure will compliment the large.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    wow 780 that is great
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle