Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This just isn\'t working

Options
cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So here is what happened. Thanksgiving I had to cook one of the sides in the oven. I had stored the paella pan in the brioler drawer and forgot about it. The sticker was still on it, so it got baked..
I've been scrubbing, soaking with wd40, soaking in hot water and I can't get the glue part off. Did I screw up my pan? I'm using the green scrubbies not steel.
I'm frustrated!!

paellapan001.jpg
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• Plumbr44
    Plumbr44 Posts: 212
    Options
    Is it coated with non stick?
  • cdnewman
    Options
    I did the same thing with a tart pan (baked the price sticker) and got it/glue off with "goo gone".
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I don't think so.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I tried that too. :(
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Plumbr44
    Options
    I was going to suggest goo-gone as well, or 3m puts out a wire/cable cleaner in a can that works good on taking off adhesives. Not sure about cooked ones though. Sorry to hear about your pan, it looks nice.
  • Plumbr44
    Options
    Or just scrub it real good and cook something in it and see what happens? :)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Doesn't look like it has a coating on the pan, so maybe a flat razor blade would get it to peal away. If the glue is really the problem, a product called "Lift-Off" will break it down and should clean-up right quick. You can find it at any hardware store.

Carefull with sharp stuff ;)
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Molly,
    Get asheet of fine grit emery cloth( metal sanding paper)at the hardware store.Then reseason.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    What's left is real thin. I'll keep trying the nail scraping method. Pretty tedious.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Smokin' not stirred
    Options
    Hey Molly, if it is stainless and not coated try using Noxon 7. It's a metal polish that will clean almost anything metal. I use it on my overhead hood and stainless appliances. Here is a link and you can get it in most hardware stores. Good luck. J.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1418968&CAWELAID=344455210
  • djg
    djg Posts: 19
    Options
    There is a product called Goof Off that takes off everything. Good Luck
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I'll give the blade a try. Didn't want to gouge it up. I'll keep you updated :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Let me see if the blade works.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Options
    hmmm, I've got some stainless steel cleaner form work. You're right it's greasy like the rest of the stuff I'm trying. I'll go dig it up.
    Wish me luck!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • winemaker ron
    Options
    try scrubbing with stainless steel wool. Or burn it off with a torch.
  • JCinNV
    JCinNV Posts: 141
    Options
    Try Acetone,let it soak on a paper towel, nasty fumes but it works on counter tops,
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Just a bunch of different chemicals mixed together and pulled out the steel scrubby.

paellapan004.jpg

Some scratching. We'll see if that effects anything, like sticking food.
    I'll re season and try it out next weekend! Thanks everyone for the great feedback!!
    Winemaker Ron said burn it off..hahahaha
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Good deal! :cheer:
  • Plumbr44
    Options
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Molly, you done good again. Congrats, " Never give up." Jimmy V. :):):), also Dale "3" Big E. :laugh: :laugh:
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Jimmy is the man!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I would be "at best" leary of eating from a pan that has been sprayed with WD 40 ..give a good hot burning to make sure it is clean of the chemicals...
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    WD-40 isn't dangerous to ingest, believe it or not.

From the MSDS:

"The oral toxicity of this product is estimated to be greater than 5,000 mg/kg based on an assessment of the ingredients. This product is not classified as toxic by established criteria."

The Goof Off stuff would probably concern me more.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    WOW...that is surprising..still couldn't taste very good..Thanks for the facts on the matter..