Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Honey Baked Ham ala Egg and GG

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Time to share this easy and fantastic ham cook.

Easy ingredients:
8 oz Pure Maple
1 can of concentrate frozen orange juice, pineapple juice works well also or a mixture.
Favorite rub - I used DP’s Raging River which was a great choice for this cook.
1 tsp cinnamon (optional and left out of this cook)
Dash of clove (optional and left out of this cook)

I like to find a pre cooked/smoked spiral ham that is in natural juices (no water added). This was a fully cooked but not smoked so I had to make up for that on the egg.

Took the ham in the cryovac and slit the top of the cryovac and drained the remaining liquid in the package and remove the absorbent pad.

ham1.jpg

ham2.jpg

Inject the ham as full of Maple Syrup as possible, I got the full 8 oz in this 10 pounder. When the maple begins to seep out of the cuts I move the injector to a new spot. As can be seen in picture 2 the maple begins to gather outside the ham at the bottom of the package. I try to use the same injection hole and go at different angles to reach all around the ham. I used 5 points of injection in this ham.

Egg stabilized at 300° for this cook. Setup is indirect and raised grid using TJV’s spider inverted and a drip pan and the Adjustable Rig. Hickory wood for smoke flavor.

300° to 350° is a good cooking/re-heating temperature. Plan on 10 to 15 minutes per pound.

ham3.jpg

At the egg still in the cryovac pack and glass dish. In the disposable foil pan put ½ can of concentrate orange juice in the foil pan (I will use a full can in the next cook). Pour out all the juices & maple syrup into the foil pan from the slit in the tip of the cryovac.

Cut the cryovac all the way down to the bottom of the ham on both sides for easy removal from the cryovac, remove the plastic bone protection disc from the bone and move the ham to the foil pan bone down. Keep in mind this is a spiral cut so make sure you are careful when moving from the dish to the pan.

Let the egg do its magic.

Heated to 140° internal and it’s time to pull and close down the egg.

ham4.jpg

The meat under the liquid level was fantastic and the reason I will use a full can on concentrate on the next cook. The rest of the ham was fantastic, the best cook yet.

I had planned of finishing this off like a honey baked ham, however, when I went into the house after closing down the egg the kids were ‘testing’ the ham to see if it was good.

The glaze step is also simple and done with a propane torch after the cook, that is if there are not pieces missing from the ham.

Sorry more on the glaze on the next ham cook.

Served with homemade potato rolls, beans and potato salad.

Don’t pass on this simple ham cook it is out of this world.

GG

Comments

• thegrillster
    Options
    Thanks

Just in time for the ham I am cooking tomorrow.

Just gotta love this place.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Nice GG - I won't pass :)
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Grandpa,

My mouth is drooling. I think I'd like to do that, but start with a raw ham. Would you still cook it at 300° - 350° to an I.T. of 140°?

I'd think the timing would be 25 - 30 minutes per pound.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Lei'd-n-Egg
    Options
    GG, that looks incredible! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I've added it to my "To Do" list. :lol:

Bryan
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Thanks Kent! This post will get me going on one.
    Looks terrific!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I would probably stay closer to 300° and I would still inject.

I am going to experiment with injecting a mixture of Maple and orange concentrate.

The Maple injection does not give much of a maple flavor but keeps the wonderful ham flavor of the meat.

Don't discount doing a precooked, presmoked spiral cut, this cook was great.

Next up egg'd potato rolls.

GG
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Will use this one soon. Thanks for it! Company's Christmas was a bone in spirial cut ham about 3/4 the size of yours. Beats last years Chrismas if you remember. Layed off Dec! :laugh:
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Kent,
    That's a mouth watering Ham! Thanks for the tutorial and the pics.
    I'll have to try that soon!
    Happy New Year!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I do remember, doesn't seem that long ago. When and were is your next road trip.

GG
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    GG, The ham looks fabulous. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    40 degrees and wind getting it. Not real road trip weather!LOL Did ride to work last night like always. 27 degrees at 4am. ;) Really want to head back out West this summer. Thinking Colorado as just skirted the edge last year. Have to see how funds are though. That German Shephard pup I have depot on from Penn.will hopefull be born in late May or early June and will pick at airport Little Rock so you can emagion what I am paying for it but all ways believed in a working dog the innitial cost is nothing compaired to what a good owner spends over a life time.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Kent - Ya need to put this in the recipe section. Really looks like a keeper.

Thanks
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    JL, if you head west by way of my direction, you best let me know ahead of time.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Don't forget me in your travels. You both are always welcome here.
    Doesn't seem like a year ago those troubles arose.
    Can't wait to see that pup.
    Happy new year wishes your way!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Mike,

I will get this over there some point in time. I would like to get a plated picture of the cook. I also want to clean up the write up.

The family just wouldn't wait to start eating.

Kent
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Was wondering the same thing, Gary, just because I've got 2 in the freezer that need to be cooked!
    Wondered if some salt or HiMt cure should be used along with the maple syrup and oj concentrate?
    Thoughts?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is another method for the Honey Baked texture.

Pork, Ham, Honey, HoneyBaked® Ham Glaze

This was posted on the Klose web site a few weeks ago. Hope it helps.TSR has discovered that the tender hams are delivered to each of the 300 HoneyBaked outlets already smoked, but without the glaze. It is only when the ham gets to your local HoneyBaked store that a special machine thin-slices the tender meat in a spiral fashion around the bone. One at a time, each ham is then coated with granulated sugar that has been mixed with spices - a blend that is similar to what might be used to make pumpkin pie. This sweet coating is then caramelized with a blowtorch by hand until the glaze bubbles and melts, turning golden brown. If needed, more of the sugar-coating is added, and the blowtorch is fired up until the glaze is just right. It is this careful process that turns the same size ham that costs 10 dollars in a supermarket into one that customers gladly shell out 3 to 4 times as much to share during this holiday season. For this clone recipe, we will re-create the glaze that you can apply to a smoked/cooked bone-in ham of your choice. Look for a ham that's pre-sliced. Otherwise you'll have to slice it yourself with a sharp knife, then the glaze will be applied. To get the coating just right you must use a blowtorch. If you don't have one, you can find a small one in hardware stores for around 15 bucks. We'll leave this recipe up for 2 weeks to get you through Christmas. Happy Holidays!!

INGREDIENTS:
    1 fully-cooked shank half ham, bone-in, pre-sliced is best
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ground clove
    1/8 tsp paprika
    dash ground ginger
    dash ground allspice

Yield: 1 holiday ham.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, K, 2006/12/20

Top Secret Recipes

HoneyBaked® Ham Glaze

1. First you must slice your ham. Use a very sharp knife to cut the ham into very thin slices around the bone. Do not cut all the way down to the bone or the meat may not hold together properly as it is being glazed. You want the slices to be quite thin, but not so thin that they begin to fall apart or off the bone. You may wish to turn the ham onto its flat end and cut around it starting at the bottom. You can then spin the ham as you slice around and work your way up.

2. Mix the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl.

3. Lay down a couple sheets of wax paper onto a flat surface, such as your kitchen counter. Pour the sugar mixture onto the wax paper and spread it around evenly.

4. Pick up the ham and roll it over the sugar mixture so that it is well coated. Do not coat the flat end of the ham, just the outer surface which you have sliced through.

5. Turn the ham onto its flat end on a plate. Use a blow torch with a medium-size flame to caramelize the sugar. Wave the torch over the sugar with rapid movement, so that the sugar bubbles and browns, but won't burn. Spin the plate so that you can torch the entire surface of the ham. Repeat the coating and caramelizing process until the ham has been well-glazed (don't expect to use all of the sugar mixture). Serve the ham cold or re-heated, just like the real thing.