Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tailgating with small green egg. need help.

Options
hapman
hapman Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello. I just got a small green egg for Christmas and I am looking for some feedback. Note -- I own a large green egg at my home. I will be taking this small egg camping and tailgating to college football games. I am fine with the camping part. The tailgating is where I need help. I am looking for feedback from people who have used the small egg in this way. I will be traveling in a Ford Expedition and I am worried about it being cool enough to store during the game so nobody will steal my egg. I feel like I know what to do, but I am just looking for some feedback from some folks with some experience with this. Also, looking for info on homemade contraptions that have been used to transport the egg. Thanks a bunch.

Comments

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    My thought would be to take a small metal trash can with lid. After you finish cooking using a large bent metal spoon and orka mit put left over coals in can and either water them down or put lid on to put out. Leave Egg open and it will cool down quick so you can set it in Explorer. Someone soggested putting a security cable through the vent holes and locking it to your vechicle. My thought there if they couldn't steal they would likely try to break it. I have seen a few Eggs being used at tailgates so get ready to explain what it is.

Good Tailgating,
    Poppasam
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    You're still up? I can load up the mini and head over and we can cook something. I've got a bottle of Jack that's saying "drink me". :) LOL!!
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    You still celibrating your Birthday? Can you believe now it is snowing after a record day of rain.

Sam
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    We have some really strange weather here. You never get bored. The birthday celebration is over. :( What's going on over in Brookfield Hills? I wonder what the rules are out there on using grills or smokers. I saw an offset when I was driving into your place.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    If I could add on to Sam's message. I agree with the coals and the quick cooling. You could also search the forum. Several folks have made wooden carriers for the small. You can put in in this wooden frame with the green feet to keep it up off the base. Two people can easily load it and you can lock the Expedition when going in to watch the game.
  • Take the small to youre local welding shop and have them form and weld you up a charcoal basket with a bail. Have this basket made out of expanded metal.

Then when at the event, you want to quit using the cooker, pull thae fire and remaining coals right out of the cooker and place all the hot ash and coals in an ash bucket. Load the cooker and go to the game or event.

Dipstick
  • soulfish
    Options
    I always set my small on the pickup tailgate with just a broken down cardboard box under it for cooking. Never had any heat issues with the corrugated getting scorched. Shut the vents before you go into the game, set the egg in the back of the suv on something (maybe something less flammable than cardboard), lock the vehicle. When we travel we just put it on the back seat with the seatbelt pulled down through the lid handle and buckled up like a people :P . I would think the egg would be cooled down enough to sit on the back seat after a three hour game. Of course if you have a full load of passengers the drunkest one gets to sit way back.
  • hapman
    Options
    Thanks for all of the helpfull hints. I tried my first cooking experience on the small egg and I struggled. I am used to the large egg. I overcooked (major foul) the steaks. I could only fit three on the egg. I was in poor light conditions and had a hard time keeping the temp up due to the large steaks. I guess this means I have some practicing to do on the little fella before game time.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    SmallTable.jpg

Made one for the mini too.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    That would be very similar to mine. It can be loaded even if the egg is still warm but the coals have been removed. No worry of fire or theft.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm thinking about getting a small and  was wondering if anyone has come up with any other ideas? sounds like one post above is recommending putting a hot egg with burning coals in a vehicle, which I think might be a bit dangerous besides the fact that your car may end up smelling smokey. 

Thoughts?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Just got a small to go along with my large this xmas.  I think what @unknown said about a charcoal basket could be a really good solution, and I am guessing that if you have done some diligence, you have come across the egg carten as well which seems like a good way to haul the egg around.  I am shocked how little lump the small holds compared to my large and if you took it out in a basket you could probably douse it with less than a gallon of water. 
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I have seen the egg carten and that looks like a great solution for transporting a small egg safely. I have some concerns about leaving an egg to cool down at a camp site while I'm not around. An expanding basket should not be hard to fabricate. So that does look like the best option so far.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    Options
    @caliking Are you talking leaving during a football game or while camping? 

I usually have a lot more money in other things at a campground and don''t see much need to chain it up. Most people camping are nature people and are friendly the few bad ones probably don't' realize how awesome and valuable the eggs are. Plus they are pretty heavy to walk away from a campsite. 

Now tailgating you have a bunch of drunk idiots so I would be more worried about someone damaging it rather than theft. But the nicer spots with Satellite and big tvs usually have a couple of people staying there. You could always bribe someone with food from the egg to protect your stuff till after the game or bring a friend or two that like to have a good time but don't care too much about not going inside for the game. I have a friend that loves tailgating and "babysits" a fun groups site while they go in the game for free food and beer. 

I don't get any smell when just driving with a cool egg I've gone 8 hours camping and the truck didn't have even the slightest smell of smoke in it.

What about something like this box not sure if this particular one is big enough but I'm sure some are out there. Tailgate Cargo Box

The eggCARTen is awesome by the way. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Live fire of any kind is a problem at a tailgate.  We always cooked ahead of time, and transport the food to the game.  Now, if it's a big game and late enough in the afternoon or evening, we have cooked a whole pig in a "Chinese Box".  I had a portable broaster(electric generator) on a trailer that worked out nice because it was fully lockable.  We had over 110 people in our tailgate and when you have THAT many people we had to keep it simple -- but we always ate good and had a good time...