Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Covered Deck

Options
PackerFan
PackerFan Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,[p]I just got my egg yesterday and I plan on building stand this weekend. I have been reading the forums on cooking Steak and stuff at high temps. Is it safe to put egg on a covered deck? The Ceilings are about 7 1/2 foot tall. I have smoked with a Charcoal/Water smoker under the covered deck but never anything at 700 degrees. [p]Kenny

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    PackerFan, You need great ventilation because the cooker is a carbon monoxide generating machine and I wouldnt cook at high temps w/7 1/2 foot ceiling. On rainy days, I do some cool cooks, like 350 and below under a 7 1/2 foot aluminum overhang on my screen porch.

• Parrothead
    Parrothead Posts: 101
    Options
    PackerFan,
    I TRex steaks under my covered deck all the time and have had no problem. My only complaint is that it tends to hold the smoke in my backyard and not tease my neighbors. LOL[p]Cheers,[p]Chris

Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    PackerFan,
    You've already got 2 responses, but since they seem to conflict a bit, I'll throw my toonie (Canadian $2 coin) worth of input in here:
    I have used the Egg under a covered deck with ceiling about equal height to yours for past 4 years and I'm still here to tell the tale with zero to minimal brain damage... I say the cross-flow of air should be more than sufficient.
    If you are still uncertain I will gladly send you pix of my set up and you can compare.... I may appear lighthearted in the post above, but the concern is real and if you are uncertain, some pictures of my current set up are available for the asking...
    Qfan

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    PackerFan,
    This young man has been using his under the porch forever and is still around to talk about it.
    Bob

[ul][li]GFW's site[/ul]
  • PackerFan
    Options
    Borders,[p]HMMMM...I honestly had not thought at all about the health risks. I was only concerned about the possiblity of catching the deck on fire. I am not excited about the idea of the new egg being exposed to the elements. I am already getting a little protective of it. I put a blanket over it in my garage. Not sure why. I'm sick. I probably already have some smoke damage. [p]Kenny

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    I use mine under a covered patio. The only thing is - we had the house repainted this last fall and the painter commented on how smokey the ceiling was! LOL I *do* position the egg right at the edge of the overhang. However with wind, plenty of smoke still seems to come under the covered portion.
  • PackerFan
    Options
    Pakak,[p]I wonder how much damage I've done already. I have been known to get the smoke rollin out of smoker, observe which way it was going and then sit downstream to catch the fumes. I felt it made Beer taste better. Maybe there is something wrong with me. LOL[p]Kenny

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Painter, right on - I moved my BGE to a different location, but it is still under the cover of the deck. It merely moved from the west side (in the picture) to the north side!

• Chainsmoker
    Chainsmoker Posts: 114
    Options
    PackerFan,
    I always cook under the back porch roof. It is white and vinyl and there is no evidence of smoke on anything.
    Ryan

• BearFan
    BearFan Posts: 28
    Options
    PackerFan,
    My guys should play your guys a little tougher this year!![p]Cheers!! ........Ed

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    PackerFan,
    I've had mine under a patio cover about the same height that you're talking about and have no problems. Sometimes the smoke migh hang around but usually it just drifts out to tease the neighbors. There is a considerable smokey stain area on the deck but hey...can't have everything!