Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our Drybag-aged rib eye Christmas (pic heavy)

Options
mkc
mkc Posts: 544
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know we started this a tad late, only got 18 days in the Drybag. It could easily have gone longer. Never having had dry-aged, I was intrigued by the finished exterior (it looked like plastic). Almost no smell to the uncooked roast at all, just a faint beef note. It was unbelievably tender and flavorful.

Many thanks to RRP for his YouTube video and Foodsaver experimentation, Little Steven for his beef stock guidance, Stike/Stripsteak for his dry-aging knowledge in general, and all the other Eggers who led the way in home-aged beef. And of course Dizzy Pig for a fantastic rub!

The original roast

roast%20in%20package%20end.jpg

roast%20in%20package.jpg

After 18 days in the Foodsavered Drybag. The 6 pound 8 ounce roast was now 5 pounds, 12 ounces

aged%20roast1.jpg

Cut into one roast, 4 steaks, and some spaniel snacks

aged%20roast%20cut1.jpg

I Want Beef!

aged%20roast%20fan.jpg

Coated with Raising the Steaks, seared in cast iron, roasted indirect at 300 until 125 internal, rested 20 minutes

aged%20roast%20cooked.jpg

The initial slice (yes, that's me wearing one of my Christmas presents)

aged%20roast%20slicing.jpg

Christmas Dinner

christmas%20dinner.jpg

I was a very lucky Egger this Christmas!

Egg%20Christmas.jpg

I still can't believe DH got me a DigiQ II (from Fred's)! My m-i-l got me the adjustable rig (and DH got to visit Santa's local workshop, aka TJV's house, to pick it up), DH turned the handle for the meat flipper on his lathe - it's cocobolo and he's promised me a new wiggle stick to match. The spaniels got me the rubs and the buckboard bacon cure.

Michelle
Egging in Crossville, TN

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :laugh: COOL Christmas gifts, Michelle!
    Glad Santa and the local "workshop" came through for you :woohoo:
    Congrats on the home ageing. Your "counter surfer" sure has a nose for the finer flavor morsels :silly:
    We will have to help each other out with the adjustable rig learning curve, too. B)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Looks like Santa got stuck at your house Michelle.

Nice egg'n Christmas. Get some of that Buckboard bacon going, you will think you died and went to heaven.

Merry Christmas, Kent
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Michelle, your dry aged rib roast looks fabulous and I bet it tasted even better! I have to add that to my list things to do. Looks like santa rewarded you for being a very good girlthis year. :) (hope the dog got some scraps!)
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I need to learn how to dry age without getting a trip to the ER for a stomach pump.

That looks fabulous !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Lucky girl Michelle, you had a great Christmas

Ross
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    That ribeye looks fantastic! I'm going to have to give this dry aging a try. Everyone that's done it raves about it.
    You really got some nice gifts, you're going to love your digiQ.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    What a great post. Excellent roast, Michelle, and congrats on the new toys!
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    woo hoo! i got a adj rig/spider sliding grid combo too!!
  • mkc
    Options
    eenie meenie wrote:
    (hope the dog got some scraps!)

He (Bentley) and the rest of the Insane Spaniel Posse (Ree and Blue) got some of the trimmings which I fried up and then drained and cooled for them. You should have seen the Paws of Fury going, trying to reach for that roast!

I sliced off a few "wahfer thin" bits of the leftover roast and made sandwiches for lunch today. That got me thinking our future Buckboard bacon. I need to start researching slicers...
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • mkc
    Options
    Village Idiot wrote:
    I need to learn how to dry age without getting a trip to the ER for a stomach pump.

That looks fabulous !

Thanks, Gary. Our fridge (Monogram 48" built-in) has a climate control drawer at the bottom which I can set to "meat", "citrus", or "produce". "Meat" keeps the drawer at 33 degrees and it's relatively unaffected by the door opening because it's a sealed drawer with its own fan/damper. When we first got the fridge, I grumbled about the lost shelf space (compared to the 1999 version of the same fridge in our previous house). Now that I've used it as a controlled meat environment, I don't mind the balancing act I have to do with the pickles, eggs, etc. on the shelves.

I don't think I would have tried dry aging without having this drawer or a really reliable second fridge that rarely was opened.

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN