Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lobster "bake"

Midnight Smoker
Midnight Smoker Posts: 273
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting my first Egg early April. My parents are sending down (SC) four 5 lb. lobsters from Boston for a home warming present for our new house. I think I may be jumping in the deep end to fast........I want to have a lobster bake on my Egg. I will probably have only used it onece or twice by then.
I have done this many times before, but only on a beach. My plan was this....I have "rock weed" coming down with the lobsters........I was going to fire up the Egg...... set up indirect.......pile on the Rock Weed........Lobsters......clams.......potates.......corn......cover with rock weed and cook away. It usually takes 1 or 2 hours on the beach. [p]Question is..........what temp?[p]On the beach we dig a pit in the sand .........start fire and throw rocks on the fire and get them hot. Once hot and fire is out ........we load rock weed (sea weed) on top.....throw all the above goodies on top and cover with more rock weed and a wet canvas tarp. Cook until an onion placed inside is cooked soft........usually 1 or 2 hours.[p]Does anyone have any idea at what temp the hot rocks might be? I guess that would be the temp I would want to stablized the Egg at!?[p]Sorry for the long and messy post.............thanks, Paul[p]

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Midnight Smoker,
    I wuz thing and that can be dangerous.........but........the rock weed may obstruct your air flow to keep a stable temp. unless you have a bbq guru, or some sort of fan to force air into the unit. Let us know how it comes out.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    Midnight Smoker,230 to 250 works with the rock weed. you dont want it to hot, just enough to get the rock weed simmering. after the cook raise the temp to 700 and the seafood smell will be gone. i havent done this with potatoes and corn, but have done this with a seafood casserole on an upper grill with the lobster, clams and mussels below. stabbing the lobster in the back and claws allows some smoke to permiate the meat. for the last 15 minutes put the casserole in the oven at high heat to brown the top.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    Chef Wil, i should have mentioned it in my other post, but a beer can top and bottom removed needs to be placed in the center uncovered to allow enough bypass of the smoke. i usually place the lobster ontop of the weed and add the clams later. some foil under the weed also keeps it from dripping onto the fire. with the moisture retention of the egg, there is no need to cover the lobster with more weed.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Midnight Smoker, I have been thinking of doing the same thing. You have some good replies here. PLEASE let us know how it turns out and how you did it. Lobster....Yum......