Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleanliness is next to Godliness, and I ain't very Godly

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you guys clean your grid after every BGE cook, or every once in awhile, or just let it get slap nasty? It's a real pain to clean well and I'm bone lazy.
Thanks

Comments

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Ham 'n Egg,
    I'm not perfect about cleaning every time. However, I find the grid wipes down fairly easily. But, to get it really done, I put it in the dishwasher. Does a great job on the grill and rib racks etc. We have a Maytag that does most everything very well.
    Dave

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Ham 'n Egg,
    I just heat em up, brush em off good with a grate brush....or even just a quicky with my lawn ranger lifter which has two perfectly sized notches). If it starts building up, or I have cooked fish on it, then I burn it off good and brush again. Heard of people usin' oven cleaner and other stuff. I never do. Guess I aint godly either. LOL.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Ham 'n Egg,[p]Crank up the egg to about 750 F and let 'er rip. Nothing that can hurt you will make it that far. I always wet a paper towel down just to remove old grease before I grill.[p]Mark
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Ham 'n Egg,[p]I clean it EVERY time. If you spray the grid with Pam or a similar product before each use, it cleans up really easily. If there is a stubborn spot, I use one of those green "scrungies" to make it cooperate, but not anything like steel wool, since that might damage the porcelain coating. I guarantee you'll score LOTS of brownie points with your wives or significant other if you make this routine a habit. It's one of the things most women don't like about "cooking out"...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Geez, Tonia, I would never have pegged you as the high-maintenance type! ............ and good thing you're 900 miles away since you'd probably pop me in the head for that remark.
    heeeee![p]Ham, scrape it down with your law ranger and burn it off....... old crusties can add a different dimension of flavor.[p]John[p]

• WooDoggies,
    its like al bundy once said. .'last years ashes make this year's burgers'. . .he never cleaned out his grill. . .the bundy's labor day spectacular was one of the funniest episode's ever, with peg accidently dumping the old ashes out of the grill, and kelly then putting marcie's aunt's ashes from the mantel urn in the grill as a replacement. .. .yummy good burgers they were. . ..LOL on a thursday mornng. .

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    WooDoggies,[p]You're absolutely right, there's no way I could be considered "high maintenance" in the Good Housekeeping sense of the word...I'm definitely NOT one to worry about the dog hair on the furniture or dust bunnies in the corners, for sure! So, no popping in the head for you on this fine Thursday morning...[p]Now, the "other" definition of high maintenance...THAT one might apply, LOL![p]Tonia
    :~)

• WooDoggies
    QBabe,[p]Now, that's the GOOD kind of high-maintenance for sure! :~)[p]And a fine morning it is. Just pulled three 5 lb boneless picnics off the egg from a flwaless overnight cook. One was coated in Raging River and the other 2 were coated with Dizzy Dust. Two will go to my two favorite butchers and the third is for me and the WooKitties.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, spring.[p]Woo

• WooDoggies
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Yikes, that was not the different dimension of flavor I was thinking about. Oy![p]Beautiful morning here, max, hope you're going to do some grilling....... smells like hickory here.[p]John

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Ham 'n Egg,[p]Nextness is godlier than cleanliness...[p]Bob V
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    QBabe,[p]I like to take your approach one step further. After a cursory scrubbing with the "scrungie" I put the grill in the dishwasher on "pot scrubber" wash.[p]Ken
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Ham 'n Egg,
    We just scrape it with one of those grill brushes after it heats up. Never have given it a good scrubbing with any cleaners.[p]~nikki

• Ham 'n Egg,
    I'm with everyone on the low maintanence-burn it-brush it off thing except with my small. So far I have continued to take it into the house in the sink and and scrub it good which ain't been too hard since I did it from the beginning it's still real clean. The small grate would even fit into the dishwasher if I wanted to do it that way. Just another reason I like the small soooo much.