Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Christmas rib roast

AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got the Egg stable at around 500 for about 30 minutes.

IMG_1665.jpg

Then put in an 8 lb roast coated with salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme.

IMG_1667.jpg

Set the vents for 350, it dropped to 325 for about an hour then settled in at 350. When the roast was almost done it crept up to 370.

IMG_1668.jpg

Pulled it out at 125 internal and rested it under a foil tent while I made the potatoes and Yorkshire pudding with the drippings. I also made some corn with poblano and red bell peppers.

IMG_1669.jpg

Was a pretty amazing Christmas meal. -RP

IMG_1671.jpg
·

Comments

• HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Looks AWESOME! :)
    ·
  • :laugh: nice looking meal and thermometer, Randy
    hope your weather was better than has been past few days.
    Have a great weekend and give Kim a hug from New Mexico :P
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Thanks, I like any opportunity to hug her! -RP
    ·
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    OHHHH popovers !!!! I LOVE popovers!!!! the rib looks good too but those are nice looking popovers! high and golden brown and crispy....... PERFECT!
    ·
  • HoosierHoosier Posts: 107
    Outstanding cook and great pictures. Love it when you guys are able to tell the "story" of the cook. I usually just take a "money shot" at the end of the cook. I'm curious..what kind of camera are you using? You're pictures always come out so clear, even as web images.
    ·
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,272
    Looks super Randy! I hope you and Kim are enjoying your holiday!!
    ·
    Its a Cannon Rebel Digital XT. -RP
    ·
  • johnrezzjohnrezz Posts: 116
    curious on your cook time. I am doing an 8lb roast in the morning and plan on pulling at 125 as well, thinking 2-2.5 hours?? how did it work out for you and how long did you rest? (if you didnt already say that, I will re-read)..

J
    ·
  • Excellent cook, Randy. Are those Yorkshire pudding?
    ·
  • JBJB Posts: 510
    Looks fabulous. I bet parsley and sage felt left out though.
    ·
  • smoky bsmoky b Posts: 648
    looks deeeeelish! :laugh:
    ·
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
    Oh man, does that look good! :woohoo:
    Merry Christmas my friend.
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,665
    Looks great Randy, I've got one on the menu for tomorrow.
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Love the puddings! My last try at those I wound up with flat, dense, little hockey pucks.

Hope you guys had a great one out west.
    ·
  • I've never made Yorkshire Pudding. My son-in-law is from London. I'd like to surprise him some day. I'm curious about the drippings in that picture under the roast, in the Pyrex dish...Is that enough to make the pudding, or were there lots more drippings before or after that picture was taken?

Thanks
    ·
    It took 2 hours and 15 minutes to reach 125 internal. -RP
    ·
    That was the end of the cook, I had plenty of drippings to make the puddings and roast the potatoes. The potatoes were boiled for 5 minutes then cooled. Then I scored them with a fork to give them ridges and spooned the drippings all over them. Baked at 400 for 50 minutes then salted them. Came out like fat french fries, awesomely good. -RP
    ·
  • Randy, that is one really nice looking rib roast. Happy Holidays to you and your family. John
    ·
    Thanks John, you living in Flag now? -RP
    ·
  • rsmdalersmdale Posts: 2,472
    Nice meal,have a great 2010.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
    ·
  • reelgemreelgem Posts: 4,256
    Beautiful meal Randy!! I've got to give the Yorkshire pudding a try.
    ·
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Looks like another great cook!! Did all the kids make it back for Christmas? Hope you and the Filly had a blessed and happy one!
    ·
  • Oops, wrong person. Sorry
    ·
  • BoogieBoogie Posts: 137
    Wish I was there! I'm thinking about using my gift tomorrow. I'll post pics if I do.
    ·