Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Stupid Salmon Question

FrankCFrankC Posts: 414
edited 9:10AM in EggHead Forum
Ok, so I've made salmon dozens of times, but tonight, we're invited to spend time with the neighbors who live behind us.

I want to set up my maverick ET73 and not go out in the frigid cold (wind chill is 7 degrees as we speak) any more often than is necessary.

What temp should planked salmon be cooked to? I'm using DP's Raging River rub, and then a maple syrup/butter glaze.

fc :)

Comments

• Here is the link, this should help.
    https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipesSalmon.html
    We love this salmon, had Christmas Eve.
    Merry Christmas!
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    I don't like my salmon any higher than 155-120&deg but most people prefer theirs a little more done.

I wouldn't go any higher than 140&deg or it will start getting a little dry.
  • Cook it to 137* in the thickest part. I learned this from Trex here on the Forum and it is very apparent he knew what he was talking about.
  • I cook to 140*, my wife likes her's around 125*. We use dome of 375*, using cedar planks.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • I'm the same way as Fidel and the others. I cook it skin side down at about 325* indirect. Whenever I see little deposits of fat forming on the top, they're done. I used to over cook it, and I never really learned to like it as much as I do now. I've never used a plank, but I can just about always count on them taking about 20 to 25 minutes to get done right on the grid.
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    dsc01345aL.jpg

That's Eggactly the indicator I use too. Once I see that albumen, I take a temp, and it's usually between 130 and 140°. One thing is for sure, if you wait for it to flake, it's overdone.

EDIT - if you pull it at 140° or so, it should rise to the 145° that the FDA uses.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Looks like the FDA is calling 145° the minimum doneness for seafood.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • FrankCFrankC Posts: 414
    Thanks for all of the info. I ended up pulling at 145, and it came out very nice. I really should do salmon more often, everyone seems to love it. I think it has something to do with the maple syrup/butter glaze :woohoo:

fc :)