Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing and dwelling????

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Everyone,[p]Almost that time to go and pick up the BGGE (Big Great Green Egg). Can you guys help me out ont he searing and dwelling terms. My wife and I are a big lover of 1.5" thick ribeyes and I want to try and get them right the first or second time.[p]I would assume that searing is done at a high temp...question is with or with the lid closed?[p]Dwelling I would imagine would be to let them sit there....but under what conditions?[p]Any help is greatly appreciated.[p]Thats all from this ole Cajun Dude....lassez le bon ton roulez

Comments

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    GonnaGetOne,
    Searing is done with the lid closed. Dwelling is closing the bottom vent and covering the top vent with the rain cap. BE VERY CAREFUL when you open the Egg back up. I open bottom vent fully, remove rain cap and wait a least 1 minute. If you don't you'll set YOURSELF on fire from the flash back![p]Kelly

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    GonnaGetOne,
    BID caveat on that 'dwell' idea with ribeyes.[p]i dwell on less fatty cuts, but the ribeye is so dang tasty cuzza the fat. when you aresearing it, it will render out a bunch of fat, which is fine. the roaring inferno (you will be amazed the first time to gaze into the sun, my friend) will blast that fatty soot straight up and out the top.
    BUT
    if you are doing ribeyes and you sear/flip/sear then shutdown for the dwell, you may find that the fat continues to drip on the hot (but now dying) lump. this turns to sooty smoke (not good oak or hickory kinda smoke) and i find it can give an off flavor to the ribeyes.[p]steaks are fairly forgiving.[p]i suggest 750 for your first go 'round. (later you can go nuts at 850+). depends on the amount of char you want.[p]i think 700-750 is fine. gives you a bit more time, the window is less critical.[p]say 4 or 5 minutes a side. flip, 5 more minutes.[p]if you like them rarish, they're done.[p]
    Don't forget. if you do the Trex method, sear/sear REMOVE the steaks and allow it to come down to 400 or so before dwelling, you won't have the sooty fattty smoke issue. problem is, i can't frikkin wait. [p]was that clear?
    damn, now i'm drooling...

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • captaincraigb
    Options
    GonnaGetOne,
    you gotta try da Trex trick(with just a tad of smoke). You just need to have another adult beverage to help with the wait! Trex steaks have ruined me for life, I refuse/have no desire to go to a steak house. try it once, you will never go back! btw works on pork chops also

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    GonnaGetOne,
    If you go to my recipes page and click on Beef, you'll be taken to an excellent writeup done by Trex, which others have referred to.[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Website[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz