Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wanting to cold smoke some pork bellies

Options
probie
probie Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am wanting to cold smoke a pork bellies to make some bacon in the EGG any ideas???

Comments

• Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Have you already cured the bellies? I cure mine first in a mix of 1/2 cup maple syrup and 1/4 cup salt per 10 lbs bellies. After putting on the cure let them sit in the fridge for about seven days turning daily.

Before smoking remove the rind. Smoke with apple wood at about 170 until the bellies hit 150 deg. Take them off to cool. Slice and fry as you would store bought bacon.

I gave foodsavered packs to people in the office for Christmas. Everyone said it was great.

Some people us curing salt, but I find that leaving it out gives a more natural pork flavor. I use mine fast enough that the preservatives in the curing salt are not necessary. Good luck.