Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Perfect Steak

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks for the welcome wishes. To date I have had great success with pork, fish, burger and chicken but that first "perfect steak" didn't turn out as I was hoping.
Found the perfect use for the old HOLLAND. Drop cord holder for the electric starter!

Comments

• Frank,
    for the perfect steak, you want to go 'trex'. ..for the un-abridged version, go to the naked whiz's website. . .otherwise, here is the abridged version. . .[p]full load of lump. . .get dome temp up to 750 degrees +. . .. use 2 inch thick sirloins (best quality you can afford, but at least 'choice').. .coat steaks with olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper (or better yet, dizzy pig cowlick rub). . .sear steaks for 90 - 120 seconds per side. . ..pull from fire and set on plate uncovered for 20 minutes. ...close vents on egg, let temps get down to 400 degrees(you may have to open vents a little to maintain the 400 degrees). . .put steaks back in egg to dwell for 6 minutes per side for medium rare (this works beautifully for 2 inch thick sirloins like the ones pictured). .careful of backflash (see the naked whiz site for understanding this phenomenon). . [p]LinkPhoto?GUID=2f1d5a4b-3774-2c36-333b-175f15a910eb&size=lg
    [p]here are some searing at nuclear temps. . .[p]LinkPhoto?GUID=4c24312e-1c48-7141-5aab-65944a136819&size=lg
    [p]and here are a couple dwelling (along with some skewered shrimp. . .

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Would the same hold true for 2 inch thick Ribeye? Would Ribeye taste better? [p]Kenny

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    08_07_0017_52_02.jpg
    <p />Frank, my personal preference is NY Strip - about 1.25 to 1.5 inches thick - 2 minutes per side at about 750/800 degrees and the merely close out the air and let sit for about 4 minutes for medium rare - serve and enjoy.

• nonameyet,
    same holds true for ribeyes, tenderloins, sirloins, strips. .. .we don't usually do ribeye steaks, cause if i'm gonna buy 'rib', i usually buy and roast a rib roast (prime rib). . .the tenderloins come out great (i buy whole tenderloins at costco and butcher them myself to my desired thickness, same for the sirloins, i buy a whole loin at costco and buther it into about 8 or 9 2inch thick steaks). . .the tenderloins are more tender (you can cut them with a fork), but we find the sirloins to be more flavorful due to their fat content. .. just my humble opinion though. . .give em all a try and see what you like best. . .