Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Ham Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done "pulled pork" several times and find it great. Each time we do it we normally have more than we will eat and freeze the majority of it.[p]In order not to get tired of it, I am considering doing "pulled ham" as an alternative. I intend then to make sandwiches of it similar to "sloppy joes".[p]I would appreciate suggestions as to how to do that well.[p]Cook same as pulled pork? Wrap in foil?Bone in ham?
Etc.[p]Thank you in advance for comments.[p]This is a great forum. [p]Kyle[p]

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,760
    Options
    KL, i have done this once and found it to be too salty. it may have been just the particular ham that i had. when i cook it next time i probably will soak it over night in water to remove some salt, and would not use any salt in the rub. i did it low and slow, bone in, with foil at end for 1 hour. it did make a great peasoup

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    KL,[p]How 'bout pulled beef?
  • KL,
    My Mom always cooked for all of our fam Thanksgiving and Christmas until the last few years and now it has fallen to me. She always bought a big smoked pre-cooked ham and used a cola recipe that called for cooking it till it fell apart, which it always did and was very good that way and all of us liked it a lot, especially since we didn't know what a decent turkey tasted like (hers was small and dried out, like most others). Hence the BGE and the best damn turkey and ham on this planet, if I do say so myself. I buy 20 lb "fresh" hams and have them de-boned and tied up good by the butcher. All you have to do is brine it by the instructions at this link www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/pork0140.htm. Then go pick out a plastic container just the right size at Wal-Mart. Then go to Naked Whiz site and use the recipe for pulled pork. Someone asked me if ham would really turn out like that way and I could respond yes it will because I have probably cooked no less that half dozen like that and the folks loved it. One of them I made a paste / glaze and put it on it from the start and it was great too, it was made of fresh sage, basil, oil, pine nuts, sesame oil, water and thickened with corn starch (made a green ham). For Easter I plan to cook much the same way except take it out at an internal of about 170 and hope that will be just about right for slicing instead of

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    KL,
    Pulled Ham is an interesting concept. Normally for Pulled Pork, you use the front part of the pig, a Boston Butt or Shoulder Roast. However, I have on occasion used the back part of the pig, a fresh Picnic or fresh Ham, to make pulled pork. The nice thing about a fresh Picnic is that it usual comes with the skin on. This works out well because there is always a good fat cap and since a picnic has less fat, it works well. You can even peel the skin and fat back, apply a dry rub and put the fat and skin back in place. You end up with pulled pork from a fresh ham.[p]Back to the concept of Pulled Ham… You can brine (aka. cure) either a Boston butt or a picnic and then cook like pulled pork. The end result will have a very hammy flavor and yes it will be rather salty. Instead of brining the meat, you can buy a cured ham. In this case, I would buy a bone in half ham that is not spiral sliced. You are really just heating up the ham rather than slow smoking pulled pork. Regardless, once the meat gets past 185, it should fall apart.[p]
    I would stay away from a Virginia style cured Ham or any other highly salted or Country Ham. The reason for this is the high salt content. As I recall, you have to soak these types of hams in order to even make them edible. [p]One last option that I have done for a real change of pace, try Jerked Pulled Pork. Basically, I applied a wet jerk paste to a Boston Butt and let it sit for two days. After that, I cooked like I normally would for Pulled Pork. The end result is definitely a different twist on Pulled Pork.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]