Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Change

Options
No Flo Rome
No Flo Rome Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my egg for about 6-7 years. Never changed the gasket. When will I know to change it. Seems to cook great but I dont notice much of a gasket there now.The pictures I see of peoples eggs have visible gaskets and you cant really make out my gasket. It is very flat and black almost not visible at all. Am I losing out on something with an almost existent gasket? -r

Comments

• Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    Options
    I have a sbge/LBGE combo and the small has no gasket. I really don't think it make a difference, as long as you can sleep at night.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    hahahaha Count your blessings! If you can hold a steady, low temperature and your egg will shut down when you want it to, you're golden.

Mark
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Well if you don't see it smokin' out the sides, your good. Mine is pretty much smashed and flat but no leaks so I don't care.
  • Smokin' T
    Options
    My Egg is 5years old, just changed the gasket last week for the first time when I noticed smoke coming from the gasket area. Good to go now!! No need to change until the smoke appears.

Tom
    Dunedin Fl
  • Camano
    Camano Posts: 134
    Options
    I lost my gasket on my large about a month after buying it. Have not had one since and it is working great, it leaks a bit but no big deal. Perhaps the only down side is it does not shut down as quick so I burn a bit extra lump.
  • field hand
    Options
    My XL is about five months old and did leak a little smoke around the back hinge. I repositioned the bands and re-tighten the bolts with some improvement. Still leaks a little some times, but holds the temp and shuts down like it should.

Best improvement I've made re shut down-time is adding a gasket to the green weather cap. That made a big difference. I added the gasket based on the good recommendations here on the forum.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO