Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Salmon Question: When is is Done?

Options
Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I'm doing the excellent Rum Smoked Salmon recipe from Steve Raichlen's 'How to Grill' book. I've done this before with good results but have always been unsure about how to know when the fish is cooked; occasionally I get blobs of white goo erupting on the surface of the fish which need to blotted up with a paper towel. So can anyone offer advice on how to tell when the fish is ready to come off the Egg? What internal temperature should I be shooting for with my trusty Thermapen?
Regards to all.

--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)

Comments

• Love Handles
    Options
    Fairalbion,
    I've made salmon many many times this way. I suggest after you take it out of the brown sugar & salt solution that you don't rinse all of the solution off as he suggests. I leave some on for a little more flavor. I put mine on at 250-300 degrees direct on the regular grill and cook it for about 30-45 minutes. You can tell when its done by how it feels. It starts to firm up. I usually take a fork and test it. Also, I sometimes add chipolte tabasco sauce, or yoshidos sauce when I put it on the grill. I don't remember if Rachliens receipt calls for removing the skin, but I never remove the skin, and that could make a difference in cooking time. See-Yaa

• Fairalbion,
    The question is what texture are you looking for?
    I like it cooked to 145 to 150º internal.
    To get rid of white goo you need to brine for 30 min to and hour or dry brine for 2 to 3 hours, rinse well and let the fish set out on a rack witha fan blowing for 1 to 6 hours. This process gives the fish a firmer texture with out being dry.
    I add a light coating of brown sugar, onion and garlic powder, summer savory and dill before cooking.
    Jim

• Fairalbion
    Fairalbion Posts: 141
    Options
    Jim Minion ,
    Thank you. I'll give it a try.

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)