Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Gasket Change

No Flo RomeNo Flo Rome Posts: 55
edited 9:38AM in EggHead Forum
I have had my egg for about 6-7 years. Never changed the gasket. When will I know to change it. Seems to cook great but I dont notice much of a gasket there now.The pictures I see of peoples eggs have visible gaskets and you cant really make out my gasket. It is very flat and black almost not visible at all. Am I losing out on something with an almost existent gasket? -r

Comments

• EggspertEggspert Posts: 142
    I have a sbge/LBGE combo and the small has no gasket. I really don't think it make a difference, as long as you can sleep at night.
  • hahahaha Count your blessings! If you can hold a steady, low temperature and your egg will shut down when you want it to, you're golden.

Mark
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Well if you don't see it smokin' out the sides, your good. Mine is pretty much smashed and flat but no leaks so I don't care.
  • My Egg is 5years old, just changed the gasket last week for the first time when I noticed smoke coming from the gasket area. Good to go now!! No need to change until the smoke appears.

Tom
    Dunedin Fl
  • CamanoCamano Posts: 134
    I lost my gasket on my large about a month after buying it. Have not had one since and it is working great, it leaks a bit but no big deal. Perhaps the only down side is it does not shut down as quick so I burn a bit extra lump.
  • My XL is about five months old and did leak a little smoke around the back hinge. I repositioned the bands and re-tighten the bolts with some improvement. Still leaks a little some times, but holds the temp and shuts down like it should.

Best improvement I've made re shut down-time is adding a gasket to the green weather cap. That made a big difference. I added the gasket based on the good recommendations here on the forum.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO