Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bayou Claissic cast iron roaster

Ottawa_egger
Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone try one of these?

http://www.cajun-outdoor-cooking.com/18_Cast_Iron_Oval_Turkey_Roaster_or_Chicken_Roaster.htm

I'm intrigued as to the performance of a cast iron roaster. Can anyone convert a 12 quart roaster for me? Is that a 15 lb turkey? A 20 lb bird? Us Canucks don't deal well with imperial measurements.

Ottawa_egger

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    ottawa_egger, fellow canuck here. This roaster looks interesting indeed and the price seems right, I wonder how much will shipping cost though. As for size, I recently cooked a 15 pounder in a 16.5" long KitchenAid stainless steel roaster with room to spare. This one is 18" long so I think it should accommodate a 20 pounder easily.
    -Gary
    canuckland
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Not sure.I would make a measurement on the EGG first.I recall someone posting about 16 inches is all that a large will clear.Good Luck! ;)
  • WOW! I like the looks of that roaster! I’ve been looking for something along those lines for some time now! Nice and deep for lasagna and Shepard’s pie type of stuff.
    I am, however with Hoss on this one…
    Get the measuring tape out before you order the darn thing.
    I just took back a very nice SS, copper clad, roaster that wouldn’t fit in my oven, let along the Egg :blush: !
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    The price,..hard to believe. Just wondering what the weight of that big cast iron roaster would be? Lifting iron of that size in and out of the egg loaded with food....gotta be a boat anchor. Wrestling with the weight, would you still use it? :huh: Just at thought here.
    Merry Christmas
  • Howdy from Alberta.

Pretty sure that 18 inch long pan with handles will just not fit in my large egg. Probably a two person carry. Looks nice though.

For what it's worth.

Doug