Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Failed brisket?

SmokinJ
SmokinJ Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was cooking a brisket last night and had my first failure using my stoker. I had a center burn for some reason and my fire went out.My brisket got up to 158 at 3:00 a.m. thats when the fire starting dying.At 4:00 a.m. brisket was at 140, at 5:00 a.m. 131 at 6:00 a.m. 115 at 7:00 108 and at 8:00 99.Now it's in the oven.Should I eat this or throw this out. It was to take to my sisters for Christmas eve dinner.

Thanks

Comments

• smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    fraid i'd toss it. it's been in the danger zone for an awful long time. plus the probe thermometer can introduce bacteria to the interior of the meat. just my 2 cents. i'd buy some spares or power cook another brisket. Merry Christmas!
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Hate it when that happens!! That seems to be quite a while below 140 (safe zone)... Unless you had a score to settle with your sister, I'd pass and put something else on for a quick substitute...
    Kent Madison MS
  • I'm not sure, but beef can be eaten and different temps or taste from rare to well done, not like pork. My Christmas brisket was eaten last night, internal never reached above 164*. After 19 hours took it off wrapped and rest for 2 hours befrore slicing. Turned out ok.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas
  • Seems like the consensus is to toss it.

I'm curious as to why your fire went out with your stoker in control. I have one on order, so that concerns me. Did it run out of fuel? Do you have an idea what happened?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SmokinJ
    I may toss it, there is going to be a ham there also.Everyone was wanting to try my brisket.They have never had a bbq brisket so I was making it just for and extra dish and to have for left overs.
  • SmokinJ
    Im not sure why the fire went out.Never hadan issue using my stoker.The stoker was working the fan has been on since 1:30 trying to get temp up.Fire just burnt down the center for some reason.I'm not concerened with it beingthe stokers fault ihave to many cooks with it.
  • Did you light the fire in several places or just in the center?
  • SmokinJ
    I use a electric loop.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    SmokinJ,
    I hate that for you.
    I use an electric loop and I always get a good fire going.
    I use a CyberQ II and I have been running this in my head and all I can think of is your fire went out for some reason. I know that was a duh statement but for some reason your draft didn't blow enough air across the coals. Something got plugged or the dome was closed to much...So, live and try to learn and thanks for sharing. :(
  • SmokinJ
    I did try using kiwi juice on my brisket . I read about it helps tenderize ,so I figured I would try it since they were raving about it. Well I did notice maybe from the sugar or something in kiwi juice made alot drippings towards the back and front.I had chunks on the firebox smoking badly ,maybe there was to many drippings and causing the fire not spread to the front and back.I shouldn't of changed my process.Usually I just put rub on and cook at 225-230 until it's done and they come out great.
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    I am surprised at the loss of heat, IMHO i would feed it to an outside only dog due to the probably of carpet stains. I have not tried a brisket myself, I am little afraid of them.
  • Eggspert wrote:
    I have not tried a brisket myself, I am little afraid of them.

Brisket and BBQ are practically synonyms in Texas. :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SmokinJ
    I wouldn't be afraid to cook one.Usually they are successful.I guess I can't complain first real bad cook in 2 years where I had to toss something.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Eggspert, Although I have only cooked one brisket and had total success ;) . I am only limited to resources. I have to go 40 miles one way to get one unless I go in with someone and buy in bulk. I say go for it! Find a good process and maybe someone on the forum that can give you pointers because they are very good!

I have sense cooked a London Broil with help from Rusty Rooster. I have done A Tri-Tip very good. Lots of Ribeyes! Next I want to try a Flat Iron steak because Cindy had one yesterday while we were out shopping and it was very good. :P
  • Egg alone, Stoker, DigiQII, vertical burns do happen no matter how you use the egg.

I have both the stoker and q2 and I had a vertical burn with the q2 - and lost a 9# Pork cook.

When I do an overnight cook, no matter what I am using as a draft system I always light in 4 to 5 places. Center and 3 to 4 locations about 1 to 2 inches in from the outside of the fire ring.

Sorry to hear your loss.

Why did you not have the alarm's set on the Stoker? You should have been notified of the drop in temperature.

For those that think Brisket is such a hard cook, it isn't. For me it is hard to get a really moist (dripping) brisket. But that's the fun of the egg - eating all those practice runs.

SmokinJ pick up a Pork Butt and do a fast cook. 400° dome, drip pan, indirect, be ready to tent if the bark looks like it is getting too done. 8# butt done in 6 to 6-1/2 hours. Turns out moist and very flavorful.

GG
  • SmokinJ
    I was messing with the settings and turned the alarms off.I should have just did my normal routine , set alarms and still go out and check when I wake up during the night.I always wake up a few times during the night anyways so I usually check.I still have it in the oven.I tried a piece earlier, I still have it in the oven temp is 170's.I haven't got sick , not sure if you need a certain amount but I'm still don't think I want to chance it with other people eating it.
    I recently switched to a electric loop.I still usually add some starters on the sides but for whatever reason I did everything I usually don't do.
  • I don't know, it's always hard to decide if to keep cooking or toss a piece of meat when there is a problem. I think we all have the same anguish, I have always opted to toss the food if I wasn't sure.

I don't think I have ever had a filed cook that wasn't for other people.

You might finish the cook and keep the food for yourself. You had the meat up to a good temperature, then the cool off, tough decision. Is it worth the potential risk.

I had to laugh reading your post. I have both the q2 and Stoker as well as a Maverick ET-73. I always use the Maverick when using either vent system but even then I usually wake up and take a stroll down to the egg more than one time at night.

If you have time, pick up a butt and do a power cook - Hot and Fast.

GG
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    No need to be afraid. I did a Brisket as my third cook on my egg last year and it came out pretty good. The ones I have done since then are even better.

I always use a remote thermometer with an alarm (like The Maverick ET-73) to warn me if the grid temp drops too much. I then sleep much better. I keep the remote receiver next to my bed and check it a few times during the night without having to get up.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I start my fires with 91% rubbing alcohol (Wal-Mart). I squirt a little bit in the center and a few places around the perimeter. It lights quickly and burns clean and the fire is ready fast.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA