Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My salmon disaster...help please!!!

Steve-B
Steve-B Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As a lot of you know I have had my egg for less than a month. I have done a lot of experimenting and have been happy with all of the results, until tonight. I tried to salmon on a plank. I had untreated 7/8th inch thick cedar planks and a 400* egg. I cooked the filet for 300 minutes. I pulled it then and it was red all the way through...no flaking at all. I put it back on and in 10-15 minutes the cedar taste was overpowering. Did I do something wrong? I had very high hopes for this and now I am down on myself. I have guests coming Friday expecting Salmon and I need and new recipe. Ideas? I use to do the filets hot and fast with good results. Any help would be great!! BLTs for dinner tonight...

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    crustedsalmon.jpg
    <p />Steve-B,
    In my eggsperience it takes practice with cedar planks. I admire you for trying so early with the BGE. Get some rubs from Nature Boy or use Old Bay seasoning for your next salmon.
    Place the salmon in extra virgin olive oil with seasonings or rubs on. Let set an hour before cooking.
    Cook at 350 on both sides until done. The last few minutes take a mixture of butter and syrup 1/2 of each and baste on the filets.
    No one will be dissapointed but you. That is because you might run out of filets.[p]CWM

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Steve-B,
    Yeah, I don't know about using cedar planks unless you have used them before. I put my salmon filets on a foil-covered grid topper and then do them 30 minutes at 350. I coat them with Dizzy Pig Ragin River Rub and halfway through baste with butter and maple syrup. Nice.... It is also nice to make enough butter and maple so that you can serve it in ramekins on the side.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,[p]What is a grid topper please?[p]Thanks,
    Hugh.

• Car Wash Mike
    The Naked Whiz,
    My cooking with cedar planks went like this. The BGE has to be hot 600 or better range. Coat the plank with extra virgin olive oil then the fish. The plank should smoke a little giving the fish a very different taste than regular smoking. Good IMHO but takes time to master.[p]CWM

• Steve-B
    The Naked Whiz,
    I have Dizzy's Ragin River sitting right here and didn't use it. I will try again tomorrow night. I have cooked hundreds of times with charcoal (20+/- with egg) and this is the first un-eatable adventure. I am disappointed, but will live for another day.[p]I'll have to get this right by Friday so lots of salmon and egging...life could be worse...LOL

• Steve-B
    Car Wash Mike,
    What do you all think is right thickness for the planks. I thought I was okay with 7/8 inch, but have seen other recipes that use 1/8 - 1/2 inch planks. Could this make a difference..? I think the 600* temp could of worked better than 400* with this thickness.

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Steve-B,
    The Dizzy Pig Ragin River Maple Butter salmon will impress your guests beyond belief. You won't regret it.[p]Mike

• Steve-B
    Lawn Ranger,
    Tuesday at the fish market is salmon day so I think I am going to make a test run. I am sure everyone will like "practice" I put into this one on Friday. [p]

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Steve-B,[p]7/8 inch plank sounds pretty thick. That means there is more "cedar essence" to leach into your fish than if the plank were thinner. I use planks that are less than 1/2 inch thick.[p]I soak my plank in water lots (1-2 hours) before using it. The water turns color, pulling out a lot of the essence during this time. I have to weight it down to keep it under water the whole time.[p]Also, I don't advise turning the fish over during the cook. Leave it skin side down on the plank. Keep the heat high, higher than 400 if you can. Put the plank direct on the grid - don't cook this indirect. Test for doneness in the thickest part of the fillet by pulling it apart with a fork. It should part easily and cleanly with the grain when it is done.[p]I've used this plank technique on salmon that has been in the freezer (food saver) for quite some time. Somehow cooking it on the plank really freshens it up a lot - makes it delicious. I cast my vote for Dizzy Pig Raging River rub too - what I do though is first rub the fish with butter then sprinkle on the rub. That's all you need.[p]Good Luck![p]Chuck[p]
  • FlatEric
    FlatEric Posts: 56
    Aussie_Hugh,
    check out this link,

[ul][li]Topper[/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Steve-B,
    The ones I used were 1/4 inch.[p]CWM