Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why can't I keep it Hot??????!?!?!!?

Options
MerlinEgger
MerlinEgger Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On several occasions, I've had trouble getting the temp to come up where I want it. Last nite, I was cooking a pizza, and after getting the fire going, I struggled to get it over 375. The holes in the firebox aren't plugged. I suspect it may be may lighting technique - I usually just start one fire in the center. What do you guys do when you want 450 and hold steady for long periods?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Merlinegger,
    perhaps you are rushing it? To get 450 I have my bottom wide open - no Miss Daisey and let her rip - that will take maybe 25 to 30 minutes. Then I bring it under control and stabize. The "instant" rush temp that you can see in a short while is a false read. BTW have you calibrated your thermometer?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Merlinegger,
    Is your firebox properly aligned, and not blocking the vent?
    Have you cleaned out the ashes lately? Is the Daisy open enough? Is the bottom vent open enough? Did you put in fresh lump?
    I have no problems reaching temps; but the aforementioned were some of the things that I corrected before I could reach the temps I needed.
    Hammer[p]

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    RRP,
    Great point about the thermometer! He may be over the desired temp and not know it!
    Hammer

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Merlinegger, low temp problems in the egg are almost always due to lack of airflow, assuming you have filled the egg with charcoal.Light the charcoal in 3 or 4 places with the firebox half full, then add more charcoal to the top of the firebox and light it in several places again. Fill it full to the top of the firebox.If you do not soon hit inferno temps, you have air flow blockage somewhere.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    tn slagamater,
    wow! With all due respect, why do you start so many fires? I start one Weber cube in the middle after I bury it a tad and that's all I ever need. Perhaps you want to get to temp quicker than I do. Iffin I really want to get to blast furnance temps I still only use one cube, but light it and push it in through the vent. That assures an upwards draft of air and flame...talk about a hot bowel of faire!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Options
    Merlinegger,[p]Where do you store your lump? Storing it outside or in a place with moisture causes the lump to take longer to get to temp.