Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

adding charcoal when smoking

Options
duck
duck Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A question about adding charcoal when smoking meat for a long time.
I somtime smoke things for a couple of hours. The charcoal tend to run out, and it's difficult to add charcoal (removing the meat, place setter, etc.). Should I just fill up the box with lots of charcoal at the start, or does someone have a suggestion for an easy way to add charcoal?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Yeah, put in enough charcoal to do the entire cook. There is no need to add charcoal during the cook. You can fill the firebox up to the top and for long overnighters you can even go half way up the fire ring.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hey duck, (no pun intended)

Welcome to the forum! The Naked Whiz knows charcoal like no one else. He has one of the greatest web sites any where. Be sure to check it out.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

One of our highly esteemed and much respected members, Grandpas Grub, has compiled a list of very handy links and has posted here, you may want to bookmark it for future reference.

Once again, Welcome to the forum and have the most wonderful Holidays,

Gator

• Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Welcome Duck. I have been on the forum for about a week or so. Listen to these folks, they know what they are talking about. I have taken their advice on cooks on my new BGE and the cooks have been exceptional.

Good luck.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Fill the egg up to the top of the firering. The firering is the upper most removable ceramic piece. Depending on the type of charcoal, that much will last 24 + hours, that should be enough to cook anything that will actually fit on the EGG. Don't worry about wasting the lump, because once you are finished cooking just close the vents, the fire will snuff itself out, then just stir relight and you are ready for your next cook.
  • belle's dad
    Options
    filler up as the Naked Whiz said and there will be no need to add charcoal. I have done a number of cooks of 22 to 25 hours low and slow and never needed to add
    charcoal. Have a very Merry Christmas!!!

Gordon
    Vero Beach, FL