Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Water ?

LOG
LOG Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 9 lb bone in shoulder cooking right now. I met with the Stump yesterday and he had just finished one that was great. However we do things a little differently. He does not add water to the drip pan. I always fill mine up. He says I am steaming the meat. I say I do not want the smoke from the grease that burns on the drip pan if left dry. My meat is always very moist I get a good bark and have been pleased with my results. His meat was very moist and I did not taste anything that I would say came from burning grease smoke. So I thought I would ask what most of you do?

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Dearest LOG,[p]I used to use water in the drip pan but now I don't think it's necessary....... just a messy extra step.
    If you're concerned about a smoking drip pan, layer the pan with foil so that the foil doesn't make contact with the bottom of the drip pan...... so there is an air buffer between the foil and pan...... and your dripping will not burn.[p]See you in May, mang?
    Woo

• LOG
    WooDoggies,
    Thanks! The mess isn't a big deal. I just might try your idea next time. The Stump will be in Waldorf but I might have to miss it this year. I bartend Friday and Saturday nights and it's tough getting time off. We'll see what happens I would like to see everybody again I had a ball last year.
    Thanks again,
    Jeff

• LOG,
    LOG as a bartender. .. . now that gives new meaning to "COYOTE UGLY" !!!!![p]LOL!!!!

• LOG
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks Max! I'm kinda a side show with my cranium/forehead and all, I get the charity tips.

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    LOG, I use water, but for a different reason. I put cut up citrus, garlic and onion in the water for flavor and aroma. I also add beer to the water.

• WooDoggies,
    Your one smart cookie (dog biscuit) there Woo...that's a good idear...I stopped using a drip pan too, but there is a place for it depending on what your cooking...I think the turkey could use the moisture underneath, but am not sure how big if any effect that gives , BUT, another reason to use water is so you can use the drippings like I do to make my secret recipe of gravy to go with my turkey. When you do this you have to make certain the pan doesn't run dry during the cook which won't be a problem unless you let the temp go too high which I have accidentally done before...

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    LOG,[p]Where do you bartend? In Mansfield? I'm just over in North Attleborough.
    Back in the beginning I tried both ways - with water and with out and couldn't tell the difference. Save a step now just put foil in the drip pan and go! Like everything else on this forum - if it works for you do it.
    I heard you never paid attention to Stump anyway.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    LOG,
    No water in my drip pans ever. Used to have an old water pan smoker but got rid of it for the egg!

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    LOG
    Jesus turned the water in to wine; so I have followed his example. I use a drip pan with wine in it, instead of water.
    I do use wine on all cooks, and wine has such a high percentage of water; so I guess technically speaking I use water.
    Hammer

• LOG
    Sundown,
    I Bartend at the Picadilly Pub in Foxboro. That place is a ball. Fridays and Saturdays are always busy and a good time.
    I have had great results so far with the water, and do not know if I will change. The bone in shoulder last night cooked for 21 hours and was fantastic.
    Jeff

• WooDoggies
    EggFe001.jpg
    <p />LOG,[p]If the water is working magic for you..... then I wouldn't change a thing. As my sweet grandma would say, "if it aint broke, then don't fix it."[p]Hey bud, how about changing out that weekend so we can have some more yucks and Red Stripes like last year in this photo of Stump, you and Jim....... heeee?[p]Woo

• LOG
    WooDoggies,
    I want to, and am going to try. I did have a good time. I was a bigger fan of the Harpoon UFO's. I hope to see you there.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

• WooDoggies
    Chet,[p]Hey, I forgot all about the gravy thing with water in the pan. You are absolutely right that it makes great gravy....... smokey, rich and unlike anything you will get out of the oven. Perhaps you could submit your secret recipe to the bge recipe section?
    Last time I made smokey gravy was 2 Thanksgivings ago.... thanks for the reminder, dude![p]Woo

• WooDoggies
    LOG,[p]The UFO's were my favorite and I had to wrestle the last one from Nature Boy's hands....... and, I tell you, it wasn't pretty.[p]Glad to hear you'll be making the effort..... it wouldn't be the same without you .......... or your beer![p]Woo