Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Smoked Chicken Wing Help

wspwookswspwooks Posts: 11
edited 11:31PM in EggHead Forum
Hello again BGE Community. I have been hooked since I got my Egg last week and yall's help has been crucial in getting me started successfully. I am having a bunch of guys over for Monday Night Football tonight and I want to show off my Large BGE that I have been bragging about so much.

I want to smoke some wings and drums today for them and time them about right to eat them when the game starts (730 central time). I have a bunch of good rubs that my buddy who convinced me to buy the egg already so I really just need help with times and temps. I have a grill extender but to not have a plate setter for indirect yet. If need to get the plate setter for indirect, I will but I think I am getting it for Christmas from my folks.

Thanks again folks!

Geoff
·

Comments

• BobbyB,

Thanks for the recipes. I will give them a try sometime but I was just looking for a simple low and slow smoke recipe that I could try out. I prefer smoked wings (for healthier eating)without all the sauces. I just want a nice dry rub recipe that I can set it and forget it for now. Thanks again though!
    ·
  • SundazesSundazes Posts: 274
    Rub em down with some Dizzy Dust and be done with it. Awesome stuff on chicken.
    ·
  • How long should I smoke them for and at what temperature? I have asked my folks if they are getting me a plate setter and they said no. So, I am going to get one today so that I can smoke them properly.

I just need to know times and temps for the Egg and for Internal meat.

Thanks!
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Rub em down, use your raised grid and cook them direct at 400* for about 20-25 minutes per side.

I only put a small amount of charcoal in the firebox. The idea is to have the heat, but to keep the wings as far from that heat as you can.
    ·
  • RVHRVH Posts: 523
    You can also smoke them raised grid direct at around 275°F for about two hours, without turning them. They don't need a whole lot of wood chunks, maybe two small pieces. Enjoy the game.
    ·
  • Dr. BBq's Bloody Mary Wings have become my absolute favorites. Give them a try sometime.

INGREDIENTS:
    16 single joint chicken wings

Bloody Mary Rub
    1 Tbs celery salt
    2 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp granulated garlic
    1 tsp brown sugar

Bloody Mary Sauce
    1- 1/2 cup V-8 juice
    3 Tbs Worcestershire
    3 Tbs Tabasco Garlic Sauce
    juice of 1 lemon
    1 tsp salt
    prepared horseradish to taste (optional)

Celery sticks
    Chilled Russian Vodka

Procedure
    1 In a small bowl mix the rub ingredients. Sprinkle over the chicken wings as needed, coating evenly.
    2 Prepare the cooker direct at 350°F using cherry wood for flavor.
    3 Grill the wings turning often for 30 minutes.
    4 Meanwhile, mix the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
    5 Put the vodka in the freezer.
    6 Transfer the wings to an aluminum foil pan large enough to fit the wings in a single layer. Pour the sauce over the wings and return to the cooker.
    7 Cook for another 30 minutes turning the wings after 15 minutes to coat. If the pan goes dry, add a small amount of beer to keep it from burning.
    8 Remove the wings to a plate, and drizzle with the sauce if there is any left.
    9 Serve with celery sticks and shots of ice cold vodka.
    ·