Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Comfort food @ the Borders'

Options
Borders
Borders Posts: 665
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight's dinner was "Aint Momma's Meat loaf" and "Smashed potatoes" from the cookbook Smoke & Spice by Jamison. Really good book. This is the second time we've had the meat loaf and it's a hit. The recipe is below. I used cherry to smoke with. No objections from the family.[p]P1010016.JPG?dc=4675462868904997816
[p]
meatloaf%20scan%20(2).jpg?dc=4675462865106788028

Comments

• Borders
    Options
    PS- the recipe concludes with "place the loaf directly on the grid for an additional 1 1/2 hours. Let it sit for 10 minutes after removing.[p]PSS-I excluded the "mop"

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Borders,
    Ahhhh, You are progressing quickly, Grasshopper. Veellly good![p]Mike

• Borders
    Options
    Lawn Ranger, thank you Mastah. All one can do is try.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Borders,[p]If you're in the experimenting mood, here's my favorite recipe for meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I did this at Eggtoberfest 2003 last year (and that's the section on the page where you can find the recipe). It's a little different than the Smoke and Spice version, but definitely a winner![p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]QBabe's Recipe Page[/ul]
  • Borders
    Options
    QBabe, how could I possibly be hungry again? That recipe looks awesome.

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    Borders and/or Q-Babe,[p]Either of you going to cook one of these this weekend?[p]Hungry stomachs need to know...[p]BOB

• Borders
    Options
    BobinFla, I have to admit, I still dont know what I'm cooking this weekend. I'm a virgin @ the egg fest concept, and plan on learning from this one. I finally decided on smoked flounder spread for the meet @ greet. Since I'm at a campsite, it looks like the key is to cook foods that I can pre-prepare @ home for the grill. True?

• QBabe
    Options
    Borders,[p]Depends on what you want to cook...[p]On Friday, when you arrive at the park, most likely your new small will be set up at the pavilion with all the other cookers. After the Meet and Greet, folks will be free to do whatever they'd like for dinner. Last time, several of us retrieved our small eggs and gathered them together in the parking area near one of the cabins and we threw on a bunch of steaks, some baked potatoes and made a salad. Others got together at their campsite and cooked. Then in the morning, we grabbed the cookers and took them back up to the pavilion for the main event.[p]The "main event" begins on Saturday from 9-5. All through the day, folks will be cooking and stuff will be coming off the cookers for everyone to share and sample. So, as far as what to cook, there are no real limitations...it just depends on what you want to bring for the prep! [p]Marinades are pretty easy, since you could throw it all together ahead of time, put in a jar or other container and bring with you. Rubs are more simple, and you can actually put your rub on, wrap in saran wrap, then a ziploc, if you wanted a longer period for the meat to have the rub on, or just sprinkle right before you cook the meat (mostly a personal preference thing).[p]Some folks will even do overnight cooks...butts and briskets.[p]Tonia
    :~)[p]

• QBabe
    Options
    BobinFla,[p]Ok, I'll bite...we can do a repeat performance! [p]Tonia
    :~)