Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Grate Users: HELP

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my new Turbo Grate for the large and doing a 3 or 4 hour ham at 250 (working for 140).
After about 2 ½ hours the temp started dropping from 250 (had been holding perfect). When down to under 200 I went for my trusty Lawn Ranger Wiggle Rod and it hit me, no place to use it.
Had the large loaded with spider, sm pizza stone, adj rig, drip pan, grid and ham: not wanting to unload.
So I used another tool by Mike to move lump around from the top. It caught fire and now back to 250.
I watched the utube deal about loading lump and he (shotgun fred) just dumped.
Is this a problem with the Turbo Grate?
Do not want to think about this problem on an overnight cook….
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Rib Bones
    Options
    Great question! We are thinking about ordering a turbo grate. Will be watching this post closely. Thanks for posting. :unsure:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    Never had that problem with my TurboGrate, before a cook i just stir lump so ash falls through then pour in more if needed and lite. greatest acc i have.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Same here. I also tap the bottom to get the ash to fall through. Never had a problem and it has been in my egg since day one.
  • Mickey
    Options
    No ash problem as this was just placed in clean lg egg.
    Do you guys do anything about how you add lump?
    I noticed it did light quicker, I use a Mapp and it was faster than norm.
    Am I correct in guessing that you get a lot less lump as the turbo takes up lots of space?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    You can twist the bottom fins open a little that might help

Ross
  • Martyr82
    Options
    Ive had my turbo grate now for about a year. I use it with my DigiQ2 for my low and slow cooks. It has really helped me alot. I was having to wiggle the charcoal every 3 hrs before. You could almost set your clock by it. Since I started using the Turbo grate I have not had 1 time that I had to wiggle it. I regularly cook over 20 hrs with out having to touch it. Plus I use a lot less lump now. Bottom line, I love mine.

Marty
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    I have used a turbograte for more than 2 years. I just dump the lump, level it a little, shake the top of the turbogrill a little bit and let it run. I have NEVER lost a fire. I use with and without digi-Q. If there is any question on the burn, I open the bottom air door and reach in with my "club" (yes, I own this too), and tap the bottom of the fins on the turbo grate. I consider these to be 2 essential pieces of my arsenal (I use my club with MAPP). (after a 1000 starts, this ended up being my method). thanks rc
  • Mickey
    Options
    I will take it this was just a fluke and go.
    I do light in 3 places as I always do.
    It was as if I had on lit in one place and it burnt up and out???????
    Thanks for the input guys ;)

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I do not have a turbograte, but have been considering getting one and studying the posts.

It is my understanding that when new, you have to bend/twist the tabs on the bottom to create more space for the ash to fall and the air to get in.

Is that correct?
  • bobSTL
    bobSTL Posts: 105
    Options
    I bought the turbograte a few weeks ago. Took it out of the box and filled the Large BGE up to the top of the firebox. lit it and ....... nothing, had to work hard to get a fire going. THEN I saw the video of its use. Went home and emptied out the egg, and adjusted the vanes, and the bottom vane to fit snug against the egg bottom. Tried a new fire in Egg, and WOW what a nice addition!! Since then no problem, and I would recommend to anyone. It came with no instructions, and I was going to return it, if I didn't see the video.

Bob