Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Tandoori

Options
Birdman
Birdman Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a recipe for chicken tandoori for my BGE? Thanks!

Comments

• Wingnut
    Wingnut Posts: 26
    Options
    Birdman,[p]I buy tandoori paste at the market and mix with plain yogurt. I mix in a zip lock bag and add chicken with deep cuts and marinate for several hours. [p]Tandoori mix[p]2 tsp red chili powder
    1 tbsp paprika
    2 tbsp garam masala[p]Wingnut[p]

• Julie
    Julie Posts: 133
    Options
    Birdman,
    Try Sukhi's Tandoori Marinade from the supermarket. Mix with yogurt. My kids love it!

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Birdman, I buy Sharwood's Tandoori spice. THe instructions call for:
    3 tbsp spice
    3 tbsp yogurt
    3 tbsp corn oil (i use canola)
    3 tbsp white wine vinegar
    3 tbsp lemon juice[p]I brought some Egged Tandoori chicken to an Indian friend of mine at work, and he said it was the real deal.

• Borders
    Options
    One more thing-I spatchcocked the chicken.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Borders,[p]That sounds delicious...! I've never heard of the tandoori spice, though. Do you get it somewhere locally, or mail order?[p]Tonia
    :~)

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Patak's tandoori paste is also good. You mix it with yogurt and marinade the chicken in it.
  • Borders
    Options
    QBabe, I got it "The Fresh Market". Would you like me to bring a jar of it to the fest???

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Birdman, here are two recipes that have been previously posted:
    Tandoori Chicken

Here is a great Tandoori chicken recipe I did over the weekend.
    [p]Garam Masala
    2 Tbs black peppercorns
    2 Tbs whole coriander seeds
    1.5 Tbs caraway seeds
    0.5 Tbs cloves
    20 or so whole cardamoms
    0.5 Tbs cinnamon
    Tandoori Masala
    1 Tbs cumin seeds
    1 Tbs coriander seeds
    1 Tbs red (cayenne) pepper or whole dried peppers
    few drops of red food coloring (optional)
    The marinade:
    1 Tbs lime juice
    salt to taste
    1 small onion
    1 Tbs Tandoori Masala
    2 tsp Garam Masala
    1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger
    1.25 cups plain yogurt
    cilantro and lime wedges

2.5 lbs skinned bone in or boneless chicken pieces in any combination

Procedure
    1 First I made Garam Masala from Indian Cooking by Savriti Chowdery). This is a mixture that is used in a lot of Indian cooking. You can buy it pre-made but fresh ground masalas from whole seeds are just killer. Only make what you will use in a few weeks or so. There are many variations of this particular mixture - this is just one I like.
    Garam Masala
    1 Grind ingredients together in a coffee grinder (or mortar and pestle) until it is a powder.
    Tandoori Masala
    1 Grind ingredients together. Add a few drops of red food coloring (optional).
    The marinade:
    1 Mix all ingrients in a food processor:
    The chicken:
    1 Make some deep slices in the chicken pieces.
    2 Marinate the chicken for 6 hours or overnight (I do it overnight).
    3 The book says to roast it at 400 for 25-30 minutes until tender and browned. I cooked it in my K at 350-375 direct on the grill for about 10-15 minutes each side, turning once.
    4 Use cilantro and lime wedges as a garnish.
    5 The results were just incredible - juicy, tender, and very flavorful. This weekend I made it for an Indian friend who said it was the best Tandoori chicken he has ever had anywhere!

Servings: 1

Recipe Source
    Author: KimW (Kim Walker)[p]Source: Priomo Forum/Indian Cooking by Savriti Chowdery/Curries and Indian Foods by Linda Fraser[p]The Garam Masala is from Indian Cooking by Savriti Chowdery. The rest is from from the cookbook Curries and Indian Foods by Linda Fraser.
    ***************************************************[p]Tandoori Spathcocked Chicken
    [p]Ingredients
    8 peeled cloves of garlic
    1 Tbs finely chopped ginger
    1 Tbs lemon juice
    1/2 tsp saffron
    1 Tbs boiling water
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp paprika
    1 1/2 tsp garam masala
    2 tsp salt

Procedure
    1 Put garlic, ginger and lemon juice in a blender and blend till smooth (the actual recipe calls for soaking the saffron in the boiling water as well, but we almost never do that)
    2 Mix the above with the chili powder, paprika, garam masala and salt.
    3 Spatchcock and skin the chicken. Cut slits in the breasts, thighs and drumsticks.
    4 Rub the above mixture well all over the bird, especially into the slits. Let marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
    5 Cook at 350 degrees on a raised grid, direct to a temp of about 165. It should take about an hour and a half for a fairly large bird.

Recipe Source
    Author: Posted by singram on October 23, 2003 (Steve Ingram)

• QBabe
    Options
    Borders,[p]Sure, bring it on! Thanks![p]Tonia

• Borders
    Options
    QBabe, I knew you'd say yes, and I already picked it up. Now, if I can only find an extra 3 inch space in the car to pack it.

• QBabe
    Options
    Borders,[p]Yeah, I hear ya! If you camp like we do, it'll take all week just to get the vehicle packed, then there won't be a square inch of unused space, LOL![p]I've started gathering stuff together in the spare room, and am already wondering if we should take both of our vehicles, especially since we want to make a stop at the Royal Oak factory and pick up some lump. At $6.79/20 lb bag, it's worth a stop...[p]Tonia

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Birdman,
    If I remember correct, Steve Ingram, (Singram) is our resident expert on Tandoori chicken. [p]There was a thread I remember reading...[p]Banker John

[ul][li]Singram's Tandoori Chicken[/ul]