Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter Dimensions

Options
bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend of mine who works with ceramics has offered to make me a pizza stone large enough for my egg. I already own two stones, so I'm not all that desparate for another one. I was thinking, however, that a plate setter might make a good eggcessory for me. Can anyone give me the dimensions of their setter, and/or make recommendations for a custom made setter? I imagine for a large egg, you should allow enough space, perhaps one to two inches, around the circumference to allow for adequate ventilation. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    bdavidson,
    Get them to make a pizza stone with support legs on three or four sides. The legs should be high enough to fit a drip pan. Thats it. Make it as big as your pizza stone, mine is the same size as my BGE pizza stone. Making them the same size allows you to stack them (for pizza) and not have hotter spots on the edge than the center. [p]Tim

• bdavidson
    Options
    Tim M,
    I don't have a BGE stone. I own two Pampered Chef stones. I looked up your plate sitter pic from 6/6/99 in the archives. What is the diameter of the sitter surface, it's thickness and the height and width of the feet? I have a large egg, so I was thinking that I would need a 16" diameter sitter to accomodate the egg. I have 14" and 16" stones.
    Thanks.
    bdavidson

• Tim M
    Options
    bdavidson,
    Mine is more like 16" but it really doesn't matter. Have one made to fit "your" stone so there is no over hang on the one you will use most often for pizza. Thickness is the key and you don't want the 2" along the edge to be cantilevered out over no ceramic below - it will burn the pies edges. So have the setter made to fit the large stone(or bigger) and make it 3/4 thick. [p]Tim

• bdavidson
    Options
    Tim M,
    Appreciate the help. I'm planning on taking this friend and her spouse to EggFest 2000. They are new BGE owners too, after one taste of steak ala BGE. If the finished product works well, we'll bring it along and take orders!

• Rex
    Rex Posts: 16
    Options
    bdavidson,
    My pizza stone went to pieces the first time I used it to bake bread in the egg. After talking to a couple of potters about making a new pizza stone the following may be helpful if you want to make a plate setter.[p]Use clay with open or loose body; sculpture clay contains lots of organic material which is burned up during the firing of the piece leaving a very porous (desireable) product. Use lots of grog which is heat resistant too.[p]How do we get these guys to make and guarantee something that will withstand temps of 1000* or more?[p]Good luck and please let me know how your plate setter turns out.[p]Rex

• Tim M
    Options
    bdavidson,
    Wait until they taste Pizza al-Spin. [p]Glad to hear your coming - Eggfest2000 will be a load of cooking, eating, and adult beverage fun.[p]Tim

[ul][li]EGGFEST2000 website and sign up sheet.[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Rex, Kinda makes BGE's 3/4 inch thick stone more attractive. Made to withstand +1600 F. Great stones!
    C~W

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Rex,[p]The difference is between clay and ceramic. Ceramic is simply able to withstand higher temps. The beauty of a good stone is when it becomes well worn. If the stone fails you have to start all over. I own only one clay stone that has survived the trip (it is cherished). My ceramics are not as worn but seem to be developing nicely.[p]Spin