Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib and cooler

Options
Eternal Student
Eternal Student Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Would wrapping and letting a Prime Rib rest in a cooler for a couple of hours after the cook give you additional flavor and tenderness or would you do that just to keep it warm for serving?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I will cook a bit more. 5-10 degrees depending on the size.. This is not the type of cut you cook till tender. You'll have plenty of juice to make a nice Au Jus.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i agree with the wolf, it won't add any tenderness. . .the tighter its wrapped, the more it will continue to cook itself though, especially if its a large roast. .. .the ones i did last thursday (38 pounds worth - two full 7 bone-in racks, split in half, cooked and wrapped as four individual roasts, and put in cooler under a towel for about an hour prior to slicing and serving) climbed a good 10 - 15 degrees. . . .so if you want medium rare to medium, nice and pink in the middle, you want to pull them off the eggs when they are only about 118 internal temps cause they will be 130 easy by the time you slice them .. ..
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    True what they say with this one addition....heck, I'll go one step farther...

If this comes out needing
    "more tenderness"...you've likely gotten a poor grade/peice of meat, or it's been overcooked!

Letseat.jpg

Buy the best hunk you can find (Choice or better)...season it well, and don't... don't... don't over cook it!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    PrimeRipphotocontest2winner.jpg

Oooooh. Seeing that picture takes me back to last year and the secret contest. I'm working straight through January 17th, with only Christmas Day off, I hope I have time to keep track of the prime rib photo's this year.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery