Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help...boneless pork loin

Options
RajunCajun
RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Merry Christmas ladies and gents,

I bought a 5# boneless pork loin today. Never cooked one on my BGE. Any suggestions? Grid temp? Internal temp? Indirect or direct? Raised grid?

Thanks for the help,

Rajuncaju
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Dr BBQ did an eggcellent video a few days back. Scan back to page 2-5 probably.
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    This one?
    http://firecooker.com/drbbq

It's pretty good, for a doctor! :lol: :laugh: :evil:

BOB
  • outrageous
    Options
    indirect , 350 degrees. pan underneath to catch juices. i filled my pan up with water., cooked for hr to hr and ahalf, but to 140 internal temperature.. wrap in bacon, improves the moisture............. remember, do not overcook, simple easy cook with great results.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• civil eggineer
    Options
    I have cooked them direct, at 350 dome, for around 1.5 hours, pulled when internal meat temp hit 130 with eggcellent results.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I like doing mine as a cajun pork roast at 350f indirect on the Egg until it hits 150f internal and then let it rest.

Go heavy on the rub, some will fall off and you have a low surface to mass ratio anyway.

DSC_0129resized.jpg

I like to slice mine thin and stuff with dirty rice like this.

DSC_0172resized-1.jpg

Spiral slicing them also works well, but cook them to a lower internal temp, maybe 145.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Great looking stuffed p.loin Chris!! I always love the links you share.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I do mine indirect, plate setter legs up, with a drip pan, at 300 - 325 F (give or take a bit) and figure 15 to 18 minutes / lb.
    Pull at about 140 F and let her rest foiled, or at least tented, for 10 to 15 minutes.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Didn't read the rest of the thread....remember, there are many "correct" ways to do things until you settle in on a method that works best for you.
    We cook ours direct...about 350* dome...rotating often, and pulled at an internal temp of 137*. Allow to rest a good 15 minutes, then carve.
    You can cook this successfully indirect as well, but the method I mentioned is how I cook ours. Our best to you!! ;)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    With all due respect....direct, for 1.5 hours? Was this with a raised grid? Truly no disrespect...but I have never had a loin cooked direct take longer than 40-45 minutes....pulled at 137* internal. And I understand that carryover cooking takes place, but please remember that trichinosis in pork (which admittedly is about extinct...but not completely) is killed at 137*. Be safe! ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: B)