Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Size

Eternal Student
Eternal Student Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on cooking a Boneless Prime Rib on Christmas day. Am I better off getting a couple of 5 lb roasts or is it sixes with buying a large 10-12 lb roast as far as temperature control, tenderness, etc.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!

Comments

•  
    2 smaller cuts will give you more bark. Some cut to serving size, season and cook. I go 2 to 4 bones each depending on how many are eating.

GG
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    One suggestion would be to get two smaller roasts. Cook one of them to 120-125 degrees and rest it. Cook the other one to 135 degrees and rest it.

The first one will be medium-rare to rare. The second will medium to medium-well.

That way your guests will have a choice. Personally, I like mine to "moo" a little bit when I stick a fork in it, but most people like it more done.

Good luck and enjoy.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    depends what you want from it, we like ends so we would cut it in half anyways. ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it