Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Prime Rib

drbbq
drbbq Posts: 1,152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My method is pretty simple but delicious. Here's a video with the recipe.
http://firecooker.com/recipes/entry/christmas-prime-rib/
Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ

Comments

• I like simple....

Spacey - Drooling over the keyboard
  • nice video ray!!! . ...

and for the dizzy lovers out there that want to try it this way, dizzy "raising the steaks" is a very similar rub to the montreal steak seasoning. .. also great on rib roast like ray did his. ..

also for those that see all the recipes and questions about "sear first", "sear last", etc. .. and even though i typically advocate a sear first method, like ray said, it sure isn't necessary.. . .i just did 38 pounds of ribroasts for my office christmas party last thursday.. . and for ease of cooking and so that i didn't have to worry about things as i had to do other dishes as well, i just set up my eggs just like ray did, 325 indirect, prepped my roasts, and put them on till done. ..

rib roasts (or prime rib), is one of the easiest cooks you can do, just so long as you don't over cook it!!!.. .
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    I've been really enjoying your recipes on FireCooker, Ray. I tried your Baby Backs recipe last week and they were outstanding (easy, too)!

Mark
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Hi Ray,
    That was great. I'm usually not a big fan of rib roast because of the amount of fat but that one you had was a beautiful looking one. Great job.

Oh, laughed my A$$ off when you cut a nice thick one for yourself. :laugh:

Merry Christmas,
    Bordello
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I'll second that "Raising the Steaks" rub on Prime Rib is mouth watering. I added a little coarse salt to the rub for my taste buds.
    Merry Christmas
  • That looks great, Ray. Thanks !

I've got your video bookmarked.

I want to cook one for New Years, but this is a Christmas Prime Rib. Do you have a video for a New Years Prime Rib ?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• drbbq
    No, sorry. :-)
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Your Prime Rib method is perfect. Great video, thanks.
    Merry Christmas
  • drbbq
    One of the reasons I don't like searing something like this is because of the risk of overcooking. To me the resting is the most important part and resting after searing can easily create overcooked meat.

Happy Holidays Max. I bet you'll be happy to have Sydney home for a while.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Hi Ray-Nice video. On my Facebook profile I have a picture of you & me from Eggtoberfest this year. I would have used a picture of Mad Max and me, but you're much better looking! :laugh: :woohoo: I think I'm going to use your Facebook link to put your video up on my facebook news feed. Merry Christmas!
    Brian
  • thanks ray, got her home through the blizzard friday night. .. she's a pain in the butt, but always good to get her home for a while!! LOL ...
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Nice looking slice you took for yourself. My wife would have liked that first slice. I do think that you need to incorporate your watch into the video. Show it when you put the roast on and show it 2:30 minutes later when you take it off. If you can just get those hands to move (I'm sure someone good with PhotoShop would be able to splice it into a video) it would be memorable. Have some good holidays and I look forward to seeing you during the new year.
  • dude gets bonus points for plugging a little salt. seriously. so many people are freaked out by the thought. for what it's worth, my doc told me that sodium and hypertension are only an issue if you are genetically predisposed to it. he said that it's really hard to take in too much salt, since that's one of the things we have kidneys for. getting rid of excess salt (if any).

salt away! good to see someone not cringing from it, and actually pimping it.

i wonder how many rib eye roasts are gonna be done by members of this forum over the next week? i have one aging somewhere near it's second week. ray's video got me wanting to cook it now...

i think the wife'd be ripped if she came home from christmas shopping today to find the thing cooking for lunch.

wha ha ha

blame it on ray
  • considering the price of rib roasts at places like costco ( i think i paid under 6 bucks a pound for choice last week and they had PRIME for 8.95 a pound!!)... and even at safeway with my card they are only going for 5.95 or so for choice, everyone oughta be doing them!!! .. . a hell of a bargain if you ask me!!. .. i'll be doing one thursday night for sure. . .
  • count me among the no-sear-at-all camp.

searing a roast that has a nice layer of fat on it, with all those spices, means NOTHING but burnt fat and spices.

ray was at 400 or so i think. i have gone at 500 too. you get a totally different roasted, crispy caramelized fat crust with spices. if you try to sear it, you risk turning the fat to a sooty black mess.

the word "sear" has mythical properties, but i don't believe i'm alone in thinking that it isn't always the best way to attack meat. for one thing, searing works best on flesh, the muscle (like the flat side of a steak).

but fat is another thing. i think folks that want a little more direct crustiness would be ok to do it at lower temps, rolling the thing every few minutes. but searing at steak temps is a good way to ruin a beautiful roast. having done it, i know what i'm tawkin abut! hahaha

and ray's point about the searing heat causing carry-over to soar is a good one. having once had a ri roast served at about 160 in the middle, i know the pain (it was the seared one, i won't admit to screwing up MULTIPLE roasts).
  • i agree with you, when i talk about searing a rib roast, i do it like i learned to do it in my oven roasting days. ..i start the egg out at 500 degrees.. . put the roast in the 500 degree egg, and then immediately back it down to 325. . . that short time from 500 to 325 puts a nice crust on the exterior of the roast without burning/charring the exterior....i think it helps seal all the juices in. . . nothing to prove it other than lack of any juice in the drip pan (only dripping fat) . .. but again, certainly not necessary. .. like i said i roasted two entire racks of rib roasts in my larges last thursday and there wasn't a cup of fat in the drip pans when i was done ... .
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I picked up a three boner choice roast for $3.77 a pound at Albertson's this week, kinda hard to pass that up. -RP
  • man, thats almost as cheap as chicken!!! .. .
  • RedBag
    RedBag Posts: 72
    The reason I like the reverse sear is because you don’t end up with that over cooking problem where the high heat is chased into the roast.
    I like to cook it at a low temp, 250ish to about 126 internal. Pull it, foil it, and put it in a preheated cooler. It will rise to about 134. Let it rest for at least an hour and preferably 2 hours. At this point the inward heat penetration has stopped. Finish with a reverse sear and it’s not on there long enough for the heat to penetrate towards the middle. So you don’t end up with a bunch of medium to medium well meat.
    All that time in the cooler also gives you lots of time to take care of other things (drinking) while your guests are arriving. Plus if you happen to mis-time how long the thing is going to take to cook no worries. Running an hour behind, no big deal because you were planning on it being done 2 hours before dinner time anyway. Done an hour early, still no big deal, it can sit in the cooler 3 hours easy.
  • yep.

i start at 500 and back down. i no longer risk way overshooting the target temp (from carryover), because the reverse sear gives me less inertia at the end.

my thermos are all dead. i hope my new thermapen arrives soon. santa needs to put it in my stocking
  •  
    Good reminder, Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks is great.

As Max say's no sear is just fine. For those that havne't seen it before, here is the same method with Raising the Steaks and no sear.
    primerib.jpg

[Iprimeribcut.jpg

GG
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Thanks Grandpa. That's fine looking roast!

When you get browning on the outside of the meat like that, you don't need a sear. Browning creates new and unique flavors, and there is a whole bunch of flavor in that crust you built up.

I do believe that the act of searing at really high temperatures will actually result in a few more flavor compounds that you might not get while roasting, but for the effort and risk, it makes sense just to roast the thang. 'Specially when it looks like dat!

BTW, nice video Ray. You're keep getting better in front of a camera.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  •  
    Chris, I didn't sear. When I looked at the roast, it was so pretty I didn't want to take a chance of ruining it. As I recall at the time it was $20/lb. That roast was just over $90.

Reading the posts here I just called and it looks like bone prime rib is $6/lb. Looks like it will be DP & Prime Rib and some spiral ham this Christmas.

This year on the ham I am going to use some Dizzy Dust, that reminds me I need to get an order in.

Really enjoy your rubs.

Merry Christmas.

Kent
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    This is one of the four boneless rib roasts I did the other night for our Sunday School Christmas party...

After I rubbed them up with a paste of EVOO, Garlic and Thyme they were sprinkled with SALT and pepper.

Only one person complained and she said they were too good.. I really should have asked her what she meant by that :woohoo:

rib_roast.jpg

In the snow no less :woohoo: