Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pig Candy With A Twist

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got such rave reviews from my most recent (and very first) batch of Pig Candy that I tried doing again, this time with a little Eggsperimentation.

The first batch (10 pieces of thick sliced bacon) was covered well with brown sugar mixed with an appropriate amount (1/4 tablespoon) of Cayenne, a wee bit of cinnamon, and a dash of Dizzy Pig RedEye Express.

PigCandy212-13-09.jpg

Cooked 'em at 400° raised, indirect with drip pan. At that temperature each side was done within 5 minutes. Took 'em off while limber and cut into 4 bite-size pieces each for a total of 40 tasty snacks.

DSC02756.jpg

Then I covered two slices with the same sugar/Cayenne/Cinnamon/Red Eye mix and laid 'em in a dish with about a jigger of bourbon until they were ready to go on the Egg. Smelled really good while cooking and made 8 bite-size pieces.

DSC02757.jpg

The next batch was done with two slices of thin-sliced bacon which was thoroughly covered with Orange-Chipotle Grilling Sauce. Cooked them the same way @ 400° but because they were thin, it only took about 6 minutes total. Made 8 bite-size pieces.

DSC02759.jpg

The last batch was done with three slices of thin-sliced bacon which was thoroughly covered with raspberry-chipotle sauce. They also cooked very fast.

DSC02758.jpg

Toward the end I noticed flames coming out the top of the Egg. I cautiously opened the lid and found that the bacon grease had caught fire and was burning directly under the bacon. I shut it down but I suspect the direct flames considerably effected the flavor and texture of the bacon.

After we sampled all of the various methods we came to the confusion that the original recipe (thick sliced bacon, brown sugar and cayenne) was probably the overall best. The bourbon didn't do much for it, nor did the orange-chipotle or raspberry-chipotle concoctions.

We're sticking to the original recipe from now on, or until I get another feather up my ..... well, you know...

Spring "Can't Make Better Out Of Best" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments