Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheese Smokin'

Buxwheat
Buxwheat Posts: 727
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pics finally loaded. Here is my smokin' can:
1261329011.jpg
Filled w/ Apple and Cherry chips:
1261329087.jpg
Placed in bottom of egg, cord running out bottom vent:
1261329123.jpg
Spider, pizza stone, Adj. rig, and oval grid in place (note "virgin grid", cleanest thing I had):
1261329569.jpg
Cheese loaded when smoke started. 2 Med Cheddar, Monterrey Jack, Gouda:
1261329238.jpg
First reading from the chimney:
1261329286.jpg

Stuff should be done any minute now (about 2 hours). I'll give a report after sampling the stuff. Hope it's good.

Comments

• Buxwheat
    Please note: The beer from the can I used is not fit for human consumption! Bought it to cook with. Not even good at that. The empty can was all it was good for.
  • Perfect timing, I was planning to smoke some cheese as well. That looks way easier than trying to keep a small fire burning.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I just cleaned out my firebox and found it cracked. :( I'll be making a phone call in the morning to my dealer. It's cracked just like yours. I will use it like yours until it is in to many pieces to put it together and use. Tim
  • Buxwheat
    Just took the cheese off and had to sample it. Some ash/soot shook down from the Daisy so I had the excuse of cutting some off to clean up the blocks. Very smokey, flavor not quite what I was expecting, but I'm going to let it rest for a couple of days before passing final judgement. Still, not bad. I had let the cheese sit out of the fridge for maybe 30 min before smoking. It was still cold when I took it off the Egg. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. Forgot to read up on whether or not to let the cheese warm up before smokin'. Anybody got an opinion here?
    I've got it wrapped in Saran Wrap and placed inside a Ziplock freezer bag. How long before placing in fridge?
  • Buxwheat
    Mine has been like this for at least 4 years now. It still holds together when I lift it out of the egg, so I'm not bothering with getting it replaced until it does break thru and thru.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    If you wrap it tightly then no amount of time in the fridge is going to let it mellow. You need to let it air out a little.

But I wouldn't use your indoor fridge for this - the smoke smell with permeate everything in there.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I've never done that. I just wrap them up and let them mellow in the fridge.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Buxwheat
    I think I'll unwrap and give it some air time. How long you reckon? After that it goes in the 'Beer Fridge'. Don't think it will affect the beer any. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Buxwheat, Keep in mind this is the first time I have smoked any cheese. :ohmy:

I've got to get mine off at the bottom of the hour and as far as I know I put my cheese in the egg straight from the fridge and I have a beer fridge in the garage so I guess it can go out there and mellllooow!