Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheese for my friends

Options
Firetruck
Firetruck Posts: 2,679
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got my bean can full of applewood for smoke, 7 blocks of cheese for friends...and one for me. :)

IMG_2109.jpg

Comments

• This weekend if the weather holds out. Gonna buy one of those bean can heating rods at Harbor Freight and smoke some chedder. Yum Yum
  • Firetruck
    Options
    Weather here is perfect. Around 50 degrees ;)
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I am ready for some to. we are suppose to be getting into the 30's and 40's for a few days. :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    What is a "bean can heating rod". Got a link? Or know what Horrible Freight calls it? I looked under every category I could think of, but couldn't find it. Thanks.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    That looks great! I brought in several sticks yesterday and today that I did a week ago using that method. As soon as I cut the bags open they line up and devour it!

Bean Can Heating Rod = Soldering Iron (think you're kidding but just in case ;))

Bruce
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Nope. Wasn't kidding. And now that I know, I still don't know. :blink:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • Firetruck
    Options
    Michael, it has now been named the caveman method because of the title of the post, but here it is.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=638648&catid=1#
  • Firetruck
    Options
    I did my regular setup minus the platesetter and pan of ice. Temperatures probably still too warm for that.(50 degrees). The cheese began to melt but still got 2 hrs of smoke before it got out of hand. Left some nice grill marks :laugh:

I really didn't need the ice but the platesetter would have kept the heat from going directly up to the cheese.

IMG_2110.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Ahh, now I get it! Thanks. Seems like you wouldn't need an egg for this though. Just a tin can a cardboard box. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Firetruck
    Options
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Love some smoked cheese! Need to do a batch myself. Cold weather really helps with the process doesn't it?
  • Bgolf4me
    Options
    I'm going to cold smoke some cheese tomorrow. What kind of cheese are you using? mild, medium, sharp, etc.
    Also, you mention bean can. Do you just fill the can with soaked chips and lay it on it's side with the solder iron inside? Appreciate your input.
  • Firetruck
    Options
    The link is attached to my post right above yours. check it out
  • Firetruck
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Well, in that case, I think I'm gonna play around with this idea to smoke some cheese. A while back, long before the egg, I saw the Alton Brown show about his terra cotta lo 'n slow cooker, so I put one together. Pork butts, whole chicken, ribs - did a great job. Max dome temp was about 220* with the heating element I have. Rheostat set on Hi. No TRex for ME! :laugh:

I don't know how low a temp I can get by turning the rheostat down, or how hi I have to set it to actually get smoke from the chips, but I'm about to find out. Chips are placed in a steel (aluminum melts) pie pan, directly on the hot plate.

Since I got the egg, the poor thing is lonely! Maybe I've found a good use for it. Seems better than a tin can, soldering iron and cardboard box. :)

Too lazy to take a pic, but here's one similar to mine... we'll see.

smoker_disa.jpg

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    So far I've done havarti, sharp chedder, colby/monterey jack, pepper jack, swiss, and mozarella. I haven't tried the moz yet but everything else is great. Swiss may be my favorite but if so the pepper jack is a darn close second.

One additional thing about the soup can method...I put my can on my grid and took my mapp torch to it so as to burn off any chemical treating and the lining. I just went around it a couple of times with it glowing red until there was nothing left to burn off.

I didn't soak my chips and still had great smoke!

Bruce
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Ah well. In order to make the wood chips smoke, the heating element had to be set much to high. That's what I figured would happen, but I had to try. Time to go get a soldering iron and open a can of beans. Or one of those rat maze things.

Guess I'll use the cooker as, well, a flower pot. :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut