Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonights Cooking

Options
GoonSlapper
GoonSlapper Posts: 106
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonights the first night to light up my brand new small BGE. I have to make a few corrections to it. I bought it pre-assembled, and the bottom vent is in the back (also, I aligned the vent to my large on the side, which I actually like) and they didn't give me a thermometer.

The small BGE cooked a fairly small piece of tri-tip, while the large BGE is cooking a pork butt. A few pics of the set up:

IMG_0357.jpg

?action=postuploadshare

IMG_0363.jpg

Tri-Tip and Pork Butt side by side:

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

Good Drinks ;)

IMG_0365-1.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

Comments

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    It's so white!!! That tri tip will break it in just fine.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Options
    Looking good....I like the kegerator...
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    COOL post! :) Keep em commin.Best of luck! :)
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Ken, the set-up looks great, so does the meat. I look forward to getting my BGEs set up.

Dale, I spoke to Shad at Outdoor Kitchen Creations. Looks like I will be heading up there tomorrow tomake a purchase. They are having a no sales tax sale through New Year's. Since their prices are already fairly competitive, I think I will go see them. Thanks for the tip!
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Your welcome Dave,they are a very honest businessthat love to cook.Go around noon,and hit up the keg from Dale's brewery(No relation).Hope you enjoy your egg and will see you at the Eggfest next year.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE

2009 peoples choice Fest champion

Socal Eggfest
  • GoonSlapper
    Options
    Dave,

Good luck with your set-up. Post some pics when you get it.

I've been re-thinking my table design. My HOA will allow me to build an arbor, but I have to do so much just to get it approved, that its not worth it. They want me to mark up my property layout, give them a sketch of what I want to build, and state which materials I want to use. I'm definitely not doing that. This makes me want to move to rural Texas, so I won't have to deal with this. So, this is going to force me to move my table, and hence my table design. I'll also go w/ the cantilever patio umbrella to keep me dry during the rain storms.
  • JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Options
    Lookin good Ken. Appears you have plenty of liquid refreshment for that long cook. ;)
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Great set up. Looks like you have it going on. Love the beer frig. Sure would look good in DP's! ;)
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    The perfect bachelor pad. :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Aggie Egger
    Options
    Goonslapper,
    Nice BGE setup. About the Kegerator. Is that your CO2 can or Keg? I have a side by side and want to do the same thing but didn''t think it would fit. Thx.
    large and small bge
  • GoonSlapper
    Options
    Aggie Egger,

That picture looks deceiving. What you see in the pictures is the keg, its a 5 gallon Cornelius keg, which is used for homebrewing. I have my CO2 tank behind it, so you see the regulator coming out from behind the keg, see below pictures.

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

I have my setup such that I'll be able to have four 5 gallon kegs in my fridge. The only problem right now is that my CO2 tank is taking up too much room. I need to get a high pressure hose so I can keep the CO2 tank on the outside of my kegerator and run the high pressure hose through the side of the fridge and into the regulators.

If you are looking for a keg conversion kit, there are several online stores you can buy from. I bought mine from http://stores.kegconnection.com/StoreFront.bok and was happy with their price and service. Living in Texas, I received my order within 3 days of ordering it. Everything comes preassembled, so there is not much you have to do, except drill holes in your fridge, and connect everything up to your keg. Right now I've got a IIPA in the keg, and I'll be brewing two different pale ale's this weekend :woohoo:
  • GoonSlapper
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments everyone. Now I just need to build a table for my two BGEs.
  • DDAY
    DDAY Posts: 30
    Options
  • Aggie Egger
    Options
    I'm not a home brewer. Can you get kegs of national brand beer in that size?
    large and small bge
  • GoonSlapper
    Options
    Yes you can. You need to check with your local liquor store, or wherever you can buy a keg and ask them which beer companies have the 1/6th Barrel Keg, which is a 5.17 Gallon Keg.

Specs, a large Houston liquor store chain carries, or can get several sizes. I just go to this link and check out what I can get, but I've yet to get one. http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/snf?body=/cgi-bin/prodlist&index=Beer|350|KEG+BEER+%285.17+GALLON+&+UP%29

Good luck, and e-mail me if you need anything else.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Ken,

Great shots! Beuatiful beer fridge. Question, you don't seem to have a lot of lump in the large, or the small but that is a fast cook, for a pork butt? I don't mean any offense at all but you aren't reloading on overnights are you?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GoonSlapper
    Options
    Little Steven,

Yeah, that picture was before I added all the lump in the large. I cleaned out my old lump and ash to make sure I got good air flow. I filled the firebox with about half the lump that I intended to use, and thats when I took the picture. I use propane to light the lump, so I wanted to make sure I got the lump at the bottom burning, and once that happened I put more lump in and lit that.

As for the small, I'm sure I could have used more lump, but it was a thin piece of tri-tip. I was also a little hesitent to add more lump, since I thought the grill would be too close to the burning lump. It was my first cook on the small, so I'll ahve plenty of time to experiment.

Thanks for the advice Little Steven.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    GoonSlapper,

You obviously have some experience and I was hesitant to ask. You see a lot of people who haven't had any advice or any good advice here and you never know. That is what this forum is about.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON