Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some more Sriracha Chicken Wings

NibbleMeThis
NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few weeks ago, I Egged some Sriracha Chicken Wings using a version of Michael Symon's recipe.

DSC_0171resized.jpg

Last night I tried the "orange marmalade" version that's been running around the forums. I used pineapple/apricot preserves instead of the orange marmalade.

DSC_0210resized.jpg

I did these Sriracha wings with my standard 30-20-10 method on the Egg:
30 minutes indirect at 350-375f. Flip
20 minutes THEN toss in the sauce (Edit: Toss in the sauce AFTER cooking for the total of 50 minutes)
10 minutes to crisp them up.

DSC_0207resized.jpg

Comparing the Symon with the "orange marmalade" versions, they are both fantastic. The Symon is more of a building layers of mild, then medium, then hot heat. The orange marmalade is an instant "one-two punch" of sweet then heat.
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    DSC_0171resized.jpg

Those look REALLY good! Nice bokeh too! :cheer:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Your pictures are surpassed only by that good looking chicken.
    WOW...........
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I just licked my computer monitor!!!! Those look absolutely delicious. I use Sirachi on everything from eggs, pizza, veggies, butnow will try these wings.
  • You know the bokeh comment is going to make people google it right? :laugh:

So glad I already knew what it was or I would have been scratching my head thinking it was a culinary term.

Thanks Michael!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Nice looking wings. We've really started enjoying Sriracha the last 6 months or so. Always had it on sushi and never knew what it was. Great stuff. I'm going to try your method. Great job!
  • When I say "my 30-20-10 method", I only mean "my" as in the one I use. I didn't invent it. I swear I got it from somewhere on this forum it just wasn't called "30-20-10". I used that phrase because I was teaching my 9 y/o how to make wings and 30-20-10 at 350f is easy to remember. It does work perfectly on the egg though.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • This is still my first bottle of Sriracha. I LOVE the stuff.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Thank you! Wow was the word my wife used over the marmalade version:)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Chris,

They look fantastic! Have you ever tried the Saigon sriracha? It's sweet by comparison with about the same heat level. There is one called Uncle Chen's that is the bomb.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I only learned it recently. I always thought "blurry" worked! :lol:

Whatever. Great pics!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• No, I'm just using green topped Rooster sriracha sauce. I'll see if Sunshine Market (local Asian grocery) has that version and give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    First off -- terrific photography, especially the top. I'd like to know the specifics of that shot if you know them off the top of your head (lens, aperture, etc.)

Tell me more about the 30-20-10 wing method. Sounds very similar to what I've been doing for a long time, but mine don't spend 20 minutes in the sauce, I just cook mine direct raised at 425&deg or so until done, then toss them in a bowl with sauce to coat, then put them back on for 5 minutes or so. Sometimes I will toss them in sauce again if I want a little more heat to shine through. Usually this decision is dictated by the beer I will be consuming with the wings.

For example, these were tossed three times so I could taste the wings through the intense hoppiness of the beer:

HappyFriday.jpg
  • Rod,

Oops, fixed that. Mine don't go in the sauce then either, only for the last 10 minutes AFTER the 30 and 20 minute roasts:)

As far as the technical details, don't recall of the top of my head. I know I was using a 50mm prime lens and I had a daylight CFL light to the right. I have started using a floor stand with a daylight CFL as my Egg table light this time of year so if I want to take pictures, I have good quality light.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Fidel
    Thanks man. I am on a never-ending quest to perfect chicken wings.

Anything I can learn from other cooks will help me.

My goal is to kick the snot out of Pork Butt Mike in a wing throwdown one day. :kiss:
  • Rod,

Not much of a goal IMHO. Everybody whups Pooter :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    Except Bubba "Green Wings" Tim

I've been working on a wing technique that blends in a lot of things I've learned from folks here over the years. Helped along by my secret ingredient I've been told my wings are getting pretty tasty.
  • Rod,

Did I ever send you any Arizona Gunslinger? That is my go to for wings. Dontcha hate it when a bunch of people are doing the same thing and you aren't. I could kill for a pound of wings right now :laugh: It was burgers last week.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    I bought some gunslinger on your recommendation - same time I bought that vulgar sauce I sent you ;)

I use it on b/s chicken or pork chops mainly. Never tried it on wings.
  • Give it a try with a 1/4 lb. of butter and reduce a bit.
    Getting the water out of the butter is the most important part. The water kills the crispy wings. Try dusting them with some cornstarch before you put them on too. Throw some dried thyme leaves in.
    Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    No problem, I've seen the method on here as well. Your wings looked so good I figured I need to repeat history if possible. ;)
  • ccmoo
    ccmoo Posts: 21
    Those look great! Sorry if you covered this, but do you do indirect the whole time? I tried that on a batch and didn't get the crispiness I wanted, but my temp might have been too low.
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    GREAT LOOKING PHOTOS! AND FOOD!

cheers!!
  • swibirun wrote:
    No, I'm just using green topped Rooster sriracha sauce. I'll see if Sunshine Market (local Asian grocery) has that version and give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!

There is more than one kind of this stuff??????? I've only seen the one kind that I can get in the grocery stores here.
  • Ron,

Yes there are several kinds. The Saigon style is sweeter, some are hotter than others and Uncle Chen's is the bomb. They all seem to come out of California. Don't know if they are made or imported there.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON