Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mr. Hyde's Pizza Recipe

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, it took a while for me to get it all written up, but here is Mr. Hyde's Pizza Recipe for those who asked....[p]For the Dough...
1 pkg. active dry yeast (NOT the Rapid Rise kind)
1 tsp sugar
1 1/4 cups warm water (105° - 115°)
3 1/3 cups high gluten flour (King Arthurs)
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp extra virgin olive oil[p]In a 2-cup measuring cup, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until foamy, maybe 3-5 minutes. Using a food processor with the dough blade attached, add flour, salt and 2 tsp olive oil to the bowl. Using the dough setting, pour the yeast liquid through the feed tube as fast as the flour will absorb it. Process until the dough cleans the sides of the bowl and forms a ball. Continue to process about 30 more seconds to knead the dough. Put a little olive oil on your hands and lift the dough out. Coat the dough with the remaining 1 tsp olive oil, transfer to a large Ziploc bag and seal bag. Let rise in a warm place for about an hour. Punch dough down and let rise a second time (another hour). When ready, put a little olive oil on your hands and remove dough from Ziploc bag. Cut into two pieces and form into 2 dough balls. Place dough balls on an oiled cookie sheet and flatten into 2 discs (about 1” thick). Let proof uncovered in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours or overnight. Makes two 14” pizzas. Meanwhile, prepare toppings for pizzas. [p]When ready, set cooker up for an indirect cook with platesetter legs down and pizza stone on top. Preheat cooker, setter, and stone to 550°. While cooker is preheating, spray pizza screen with Pam and make pizzas.[p]For the Pizzas...
Roasted garlic infused olive oil (about 1 tbsp)
1/2 to 3/4 cup red sauce (spaghetti, marinara, pizza, whatever you have)
Parmesan cheese (about 2 tbsp), grated
Mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 lb), shredded
Roasted garlic (5-6 cloves), chopped
Toppings (onion, peppers, olives, tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms)
***above estimated amounts are for one pizza[p]Take a dough ball and roll out to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. For best results, throw pizza dough and spin in the air so that centrifugal force moves the dough to the outside of the circle to form a thicker crust around the edge. If you’re not comfortable with throwing the pie, you can stretch it by hand. Place the dough onto the pizza screen and shape as needed. Lightly brush dough with garlic-infused olive oil until lightly coated. Add sauce, starting in the center and spreading in a circular fashion out to the edges, using the bottom of a spoon or ladle. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Then sprinkle with about 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese. Add roasted garlic and additional toppings, if desired. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese. Place pizza screen with pizza into cooker and bake for about 5 minutes. Check pizza for bubbles, and if present, poke with a long-handled fork to deflate. Also, turn pizza 180° to get an even browning of the crust. Let cook 3-5 more minutes. If it looks like the top is done but the crust needs a little more browning, use the peel to lift the pizza off the screen and place directly on the stone for another minute. Leave the dome open so the toppings don’t get overdone. Remove from cooker and let sit for 5 minutes before eating.[p]Enjoy,
Tonia
:~)[p]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Thanks Larry and Tonia!!
    Looks great.
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • QBabe,do you really throw that dough like on t.v. and all???...my real question now is???were you the one that posted about buying screens like I have been seeing in Wal-mart and are you using those for this purpose...if so it seems to me like the dough would stick to those...and also I thought I remembered seeing pizzas cooked in fired ovens and seeing the preparers sprinkle cornmeal on the pizza stone and then the pizza on that, have you ever seen that???

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Thanks......I will give this a try on the weekend.......can't wait.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Chet,
    I've not used screens and haven't had any difficulty handling the pies or getting the crust like I want it. The nice thing about pizza is that you can experiment! Try it both ways and see what you like. I get my dough ready on a floured board and the build the pie on my peal. I throw a little corn meal on the peal before placing the dough on it to avoid sticking. You don't want to leave the dough on the peal too long or it can still stick. But you can give the peal a quick jerk to loosen the dough as long as it isn't really stuck. [p]I have a pizza screen that resembles the Wal*mart screens and I found that sometimes the pie could stick to the screen. The screens I've seen in restaurant kitchens are more like window screen, a finer mesh. I think that the screens make handling and moving the pies around easier. Obviously, if you are doing multiple pies and you build a new pie on your peal, then what do you use to take the one out of the Egg? Not everyone has 6 peals like I do. (I made them and they never sold.... LOL) But frankly, I've been real happy with the crust results I get off the bare stone and wouldn't use screens. But like I say, try it. A good excuse to eat more pizza![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Chet,
    I use the Walmart screens. I have made pizza twice now (2 pizza each time) and couldn't imagine needing anything else. IMHO there is no reason to buy a real screen or make a peal. Each time the pizza come out perfect. The disposable screens are flexable so if the pizza sticks a quick twist makes it slide off.

• QBabe
    Options
    Chet,[p]The screens we use are restaurant quality, and season much like cast iron...spray with Pam before each use and never wash with soap. We've never really had a problem with sticking. [p]And, yes, he does throw the pizza in the air...! It's quite fun to watch![p]Tonia
    :~)

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    QBabe,
    I'm laughing as I type while remembering some of my more embarassing moments thinking I could throw a pizza. Oh the mess I made... more than once. I think Mindy has permanently banned me from tossing pizzas anymore in "her" kitchen. I am relegated to the egg table when it is wheeled outside :)[p]Banker John

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Tonia and Larry,[p]Thank you for taking the time to write up your whole pizza procedure. It's printed out and ready to implement.[p]However, I think the only throwing I'll do will be the beers and just hand stretch on the counter top.[p]John[p]

• QBabe
    Options
    John,[p]That would work! He usually throws a few beers too![p]I knew that the throwing part would be intimidating, but since that's what he does, it got included...[p]Looking forward to throwing a few with you in Waldorf...
    Tonia

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    QBabe,[p]I can't wait to get wild and crazy with youse guys and the whole gang...... just be easy with Hillard this time with the cosmos, will ya? heeeeeeee![p]And I'll be bringing you some goodies from your hometown.[p]John[p]

• QBabe
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Ooooooh! Goodies...I like goodies....![p]Can't wait!
    Tonia

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    QBabe,
    Tell me more about the crust.... does this recipe result in a thin, crunchy version, or a more "doughy" crust?

• QBabe
    Options
    Jim,[p]It's a thin crust, not a thick one. Here's a pic of our most recent pizza along with a second one we did not long ago that is cut. Maybe you can get an idea of the crust from them...[p]pizza-half-veggie-cheese.jpg[p]cheese-pizza.jpg[p]Tonia

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    QBabe,
    Looks great! Thanks!

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    339%3B543923232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A3%3D677%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B33%3A8%3B%3B6ot1lsi
    <p />Pizza screens are great - you can prepare the pizza while another is already baking on the egg. I bought my screens @ a restaurant supply for about $4.00.[p]info on the screens:
    .Use of Pizza Screens results in a more evenly baked crust
    .The screen enables air to circulate between product being
    baked and the underlying oven
    .Ideal for baking or reheating pizza
    .Made of Heavy Duty Expanded Aluminum