Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork loin forum

Options
Fire Walker
Fire Walker Posts: 241
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
An 11 lb. pork loin 12 people for dinner homemade Ravioli as the second main dish. I need to tap into the substantial BGE forum brain trust for suggestions, corrections or additions. I would like to grill it whole, I'm thinking to marinade or brine it and grill with rosemary sprigs for smoke, slow at first to an internal of about 145 degrees then remove and rest until egg reaches around 400 then sear. Does this sound like a solid plan or did I miss something?
Thanks
FireWalker

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Pork loins have little or no fat so slow smoking really doesn't do much for them. I usually cook mine indirect at 350-375 until they reach 155 then wrap in foil. They can be stuffed or marinated and or wrapped in bacon..just do a search for pork loin to get some good ideas...
  • GrillDaddy
    Options
    I like to cook pork loin at 225f/indirect for about 2 hours. I inject the marinade and pour the leftover marinade onto the loin. Use a mix of hickory & oak wood chips for smoking. Also have done it at 325F as well. I pull loin at 140-145f, it is a little pink in the middle.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I have cooked eggcellent loins direct, at 350 dome temp. for around 1.5 hours. Pull the meat at 135 internal temp and allow to rest in foil for 1/2 hour. Over cooked loin tastes like shoe leather!
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    I did a pork loin a while back that turned out well. I brined overnight in a salt / brown sugar / pepper / sage mix. When I put the loin on the smoker I placed a couple strips of bacon on top for flavor. One piece received a BBQ mop of a Dreamland type sauce. The other was plain. I smoked with apple at a dome temp of about 225. I removed the loin pieces when they reached about 160 and let them rest. They were quite good that day and as leftovers.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    This recipe calls for a pork loin, though smaller than yours. I've only done it with a pork tenderloin, and haven't done it since I got the egg, but it was excellent! The fig sauce is delicious!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/pork-loin-with-fig-and-port-sauce-recipe/index.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut