Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Couple of BGE Questions

GoonSlapper
GoonSlapper Posts: 106
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello fellow Eggers...

I've had my large BGE for about 8 months now, and have finally realized the full potential of it. I've finally spent the time to figure out the BGE and spent money on the different eggcessaries. The current set-up is that my large BGE is in a nest on my covered patio (the roof to my house overhangs over the patio...I live in a patio home, so the patio and yard is on the side of my house).

I want to build my own table, but have a few questions. When I build a table, I'm going to have to move the table to the side of my house, and away from the covered patio (space constraints and I want to utilize my patio for just lounging and not my BGE). Does anyone use an umbrella, or any other covering (I'm not sure if I can build a covered shelter due to HOA rules and space) in case it rains? I'm worried about cooking and leaving the BGE out in the elements all the time. I know I can buy a canvas while I'm not using it, but I guess I'm more concerned of the rain while cooking (I live in Houston and we get torrential downpours). If someone has a set-up where your table or nest is uncovered, can you explain or post pictures?

I've been looking online and on the forums for tables and I think I found one that I want to build. It'll be based off Tony's (handle = thebtls) design...http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=705576&catid=13 . I like the tile top design, because I want to be able to store stuff underneath the top table and keep rain off them. I also want to be able to mount the Stoker I recently bought underneath the table and keep it away from the rain while its in use (I'll protect it w/ plastic while its in use and remove it when I'm not using it). I want to build it so its practical as well as functional (i.e. enough storage space).

I've also been thinking lately about adding a second BGE to accompany my large. I've been reading between getting a second large, a medium or a small (I like the idea of using the same eggcessaries for two larges, but I'm not sure if two larges is practical for me). I live by myself, so I usually just cook for myself and plan on leftovers. Do any single people, or 2-person households, use two large BGEs or the large/small combo? I'm undecided about which combo I should get. Also, since its the Christmas time, should I start calling dealers and asking them if they will have any sales on the BGEs? i was so gung-ho on buying my first BGE that I didn't really shop around, I just went to the closest dealer. But I know there are several dealers in the Houston area.

I'll definitely refine Tony's table design to suit a second BGE, but I'm a bit concerned about not knowing which size I want to get. So, I guess building a table and buying a second BGE are going to be dependent of each other. Hopefully I'll make a decision soon.

Thanks for any advice guys.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Several guys have tables with holes in the middle to accomodate a patio type umbrella.
    I would just keep it covered when not in use. Rain is not gonna hurt it while you are cooking.
    You will see some repsonses with vented rain covers to go over DFMT, etc. Personally, I dont worry about it to much but have to admit I dont cook outdoors when it is raining hard.

Good Luck!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Umbrellas work great but are more to protect the cook rather than the cooker. It can be incorporated into the table or an independent stand whichever you prefer.
  • Welcome to the Forum, Ken.

Others will be able to help you better with the table and covering questions.

We have a 2 person household and I now have 2 eggs - large and small. This combo works great for us. The small used for quick cooks, the large for TRexing steaks (using spider) and for low and slow cooks with my BBQ Guru.

Also great for two different temp cooks - like searing lamb on the small and finishing at 350* on the large, or steaks on the large and potatoes or other veggies on the small. The combinations are unlimited.

Post often and include pics!
  • There's a bunch of Houston area Eggheads who know what you mean about downpours. That's why I built my outdoor kitchen.

It's good that you are thinking of a second Egg. Most Eggheads do it and end up with multiple Eggs, often after they built a table for just one Egg.

There are some who use umbrella setups with their Egg. You might see a few of them on the Naked Whiz's site:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm

There are a lot of good ideas there.

I would also suggest that you talk to your homeowner's association, or at least look at your deed restrictions, and see exactly what limitations they place on you. It could be that you can construct an arbor or something that conforms to the local rules, possibly with a roof overhead.

Finally, if you live anywhere close to Spring I'll be happy to come take a look and perhaps offer some suggestions to any woodwork that may be permitted.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Spring "Build Higher Fences" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    single here and usually cook for one or two, then sometimes crowds. with a large and small i still plan on lots of leftovers and usually end up using the large. if to do this again i would have gotten a mini instead of the small to just do searing and higher temp cooks. i also have a second large that lives at camp so when i need two larges i get them together.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Goon,

Berings (on Bissonnet and on Westheimer) have a 20% discount on all BBQ pits, including the BGE. If you're going to get one in the near future, I'd jump on that if I were you. (a large is $600).

Welcome ! As S.C. said, there's a bunch of us in the Houston area. Maybe we should arrange a Eggfest sometime. :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I like that table, because you don't have to lower the EGG through the top. Mine is open in the front.

I like the idea of two larges -- for the flexibility, the capacity and the ability to switch between the two regardless what I am cooking (keeping the use more or less even) I am not concerned about lighting a large for one or two steaks.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    127_2771.jpg

I modified my table a couple times. I like the drawers and cabinet. Electrical is hardwired to the back, nice feature for lights and controllers. It has two drop extensions that are real handy, counter space when you need it.

tablecover.jpg

I prefer a tarp and cantiliever umbrella for coverage. Tarp when not in use and the umbrealla when in use. I've tried both center pole and cantiliever umbrellas. My preference is canterliever, as the pole is not in the way and better use of the full umbrella. One thing with umbreallas, the wind can be hell on them. So, it is only up when cooking. I got the umbrealla online, california I think.

Hope it helps. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Nice looking table and setup, Tom.
  • Thank you all for all the suggestions.

I think I'll get a small to accompany my large BGE. I'll check out Berings on Westheimer, since it's relatively close to my office...I'll swing by at lunch tomorrow. My mom is visting, so I can only imagine her reaction when I bring it home. :laugh: Thanks Gary!!!

Also, Spring Chicken, I sent the management group that represents my HOA an e-mail about building an arbor. Hopefully I'll hear something back tomorrow. If i can't, I'll look into a cantilever umbrella like tjv suggested (thanks).

I still like thebtls' table, and I'll definitely use it as a base, but modify the design to suit my needs. I want mine to be able to roll. I'm worried that two eggs may be too heavy. I think what I might do is make a conventional table, similar to thebtls' for my large egg, but have wheels on one end, and add a lifting handle on the other end. I'll then have a separate table for the small BGE with less table space. I want these two tables to attach to one another so it can combine to one large table. This allows me to have the option to have one large prep area and also to move the table(s) if I need to. I think I would use the handle area of the large table to connect to the underside of the small BGE table...kinda like a jig-saw puzzle. I don't know how ambitious this would be since I'm not much of a carpenter. I'm somewhat handy, and can draw up some schematics on AutoCAD, so I have that going for me. But, my craftsmanship may be tested.

I'll definitely incorporate other ideas to the table that I researched earlier...like an ash tray underneath the BGE's.

Just FYI, I live near Willowbrook mall, off FM 1960 and HWY 249, right by Champions golf course...if that's close to any of you Houston BGEers. I would definitely like to meet up with any other eggers in Houston. But, I don't always have time, since my girlfriend lives in Corpus Christi, and I'm also getting into homebrewing, as well as trying to work out (I need to justify being able to eat good food and drink good beers).

Thanks again, and if anyone else has suggestions/recommendations, I'm all ears.
  • I too am considering / planning to have two eggs. I will plan on the large / small combo. I was thinking about modifying the Naked Wiz table plans to accommdate a small and a large. However, when I took into consideration a bit of work space, I figured the table would be about 7 feet long. This could make it a bit unwieldy. So, I think I will probably justbbuild a table to accommodate a large and the build a stand for a small once I convince my wife the large needs a little brother.
  • Sounds like a plan...

If you need any help or woodworking tools, I'm not far from you. Cypresswood Drive @ I-45. I've been known to make a pretty nice pile of sawdust.

Spring "Huff And Puff And Build A House Up" Chicken
  • I've been having the same thought process on the table as well. I want to be able to wheel my table if needed, and two BGEs would be too much. I think I would like it such that the two tables interlock, so I have a decent prep area on the table for both the large and small, and it makes the smaller table more stable.

Fortunately for me, I don't have to justify buying a second BGE. But, my mom is in town visiting for about a month and I know she'll nag about why I need two BGEs. Especially since I've had a few things delivered in the past few days for my homebrew equipment. I guess I'll have to wait until she leaves before I buy a chiminea.
  • Thanks Spring Chicken. I think I'll definitely build the table, but I'm not sure the pace I'll build it, so I don't want you to have to deal with my procrastination :) I may ask you for some advice at some point though.

We'll definitely need to meet up at some point. I would definitely like to have someone teach me the ins and outs of the BGE. I know I can do it by trial and error, but its nice to have someone with experience teach you.

I called Bering's this morning and they don't have any small BGEs in stock, so I may head to a closer dealer near work and see if they'll give me a deal on a small. I don't want to wait 7 - 10 days for Berings to get it in. I'm going to cook my mom a pork butt which I want ready for Saturday, but I want the small so I can cook something on Friday night while my large is cooking the pork butt.
  • The Chicken Ranch welcomes both old and new Eggheads and we even try to entertain them, often using some or all of the 'girls' in the Chicken Coop. (It's a long story)

After the holidays we'll try to get together and I can show you a few things about cooking on the Egg and maybe some tips on building your table.

It will be nice to meet you.

Spring "Have Eggsperience, Will Share" Chicken
  • My folks sort of shake their heads about my outdoor cooking fetish. However, they always come for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and just about any other time I am cooking. Good luck with the table design.
  • Thanks, and good luck with your table too.

Update, I picked up my small BGE during lunch. I can't wait to get it home. I might of spent a bit more than other stores, but I figured the dealer had it in stock and assembled, and he is close to my office and I don't mind giving him some business (even though he told me that he had a shipment of 20 BGEs come in the past 2 weeks, and now he's down to 3...crazy). He threw in a broken platesetter for free...so I might use that to cook indirect on the small, or to use them as feet for my future table. I'll need to do something with it.
  • Ken-
    If you're going to be wheeling your table across grass or different surfaces, you should consider larger wheels than casters. take a look nin TNW's gallery
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm
    for tables with larger wheels- those are the ones that can go "off-road".
  • Thanks Flashback Bob. I think I'll definitely go with the heavy duty wheels. My table will be placed on a bed of pebbles, so it'll need to be able to go off-road.