Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Potential Newbie

Magicman_007
Magicman_007 Posts: 65
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to take the plunge and become an egghead. Now I need to figure out where to keep the thing. I am in Florida, so I do not have to worry about snow, but we do get more than our fair share of rain.

What is the best way to store the egg. I have a shed with a paved pathway to where I would be cooking. Is this thing too heavy to pull in the cart about 15 yards every time I want to use it.

Can I keep it outside? If so, does it need to be under cover?I am sure there is some kind of tarp. If I use the tarp, how long do I need to let it cool before I can cover it?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Camano
    Camano Posts: 134
    I leave mine in the rain uncovered, just put the ceramic cap on when done cooking.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I would recommend using a cover. Why not lay down a few pavers next to your path and keep it there.....
  • Actually, the path is pavers. So, I can leave it out side with a cover? How long does it take to cool before I can put on the cover?
  • Bacchus
    Depends on how hot it got and how long it was there. Folks say the cover can go on at 200deg but that seems hot to me. Just put it on the next morning.
    Yes its fine to leave it covered in the rain.
  • Bacchus wrote:
    Just put it on the next morning.
    Yes its fine to leave it covered in the rain.

I am afraid I will forget!
  • Bacchus
    No biggie, put it on when you remember. It's a grill and made to be outside. Covers are good for heavy rain and prolonged sun exposure which will cuase them to lose a little shine over the years, but still not a huge deal.
  • I usually cover mine but the are pretty hearty animals, they don't mind the rain. I usually wait until the dome is under 150 before I cover but most often the next morning. Where in Florida are you?
  •  
    bge_lge_snow.jpg

Three winters now, need I say much more. Never covered. Deepest snow was almost up to the lower band.

The casters on the next are pretty small so when moving make sure you pull, not push - you don't want the egg tipping over because the casters hit something, crack, rock or whatever.

I understand there is a new setup that will handle moving quite easily.

GG
  • Welcome to the Cult. Cover if you like but you don't have to.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I would not recommend moving the Egg so far, every time you want to cook. It is not hard to move with the wheels, but it is not the most stable thing in the world and if you got a little careless, especially around the joints on the pavers, you could have an accident.

My Egg is in a table and I put a cover on it -- probably as much to protect the table as the Egg. I built a wooden frame that sites over the top of the Egg, so I can put the cover on when it is pretty warm.

CoverProtection.jpg
  • Bob,
    Do you have a custom cover or are you using a bge brand cover? I like the idea of being able to close when sort-of warm - I often debate if its' cool enough to cover (with my BGE Cover) before going to bed.
  • Hey Magic, I also struggled with this decision. To cover or not too cover? Do I move it under shelter or leave it in its natural surroundings?

I was orginally planning to get the nest and side tables, but my wife quickly pointed out that is almost as much as the nice table. In the end, I am going to use the LBGE for a few weeks and see how I feel about it. For now, I have the Egg on my pool deck with a few brick pavers, and with the little feet for stability (rain cap on of course).

My best guess is that I will pick up a table, umbrella, and a cover for the whole thing in a few weeks, but I didn't want to waste money until I really get a feel for what's going to work best for my situation.

Good Luck with your decision, planning and comtemplating is half the fun.

Bryan
  • I put up a roof .... not to protect the egg, but for ME. Now, I can easily cook while it's raining (we don't worry about snow here). Also, at night, it's hard to see the temp gauge and food without a light. I don't have lights there right now, but that's my next project.

bbqarea.jpg

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Teach42
    Teach42 Posts: 219
    I cover mine (Chicago), but there are plenty of nights where it isn't cool enough for me to comfortably cover it up. So I just leave the cover off overnight and throw it on in the morning.

No big deal. This thing isn't exactly fragile. It can handle a few nights in the rain just fine. I'm just slowing down the effects the elements will have on it overall.
  • You can leave it outside.

Whether or not you cover it is up to you. I live in New England and cover mine only to protect the wood table. The Egg itself doesn't need a cover. I put the cover on when the temp gets down to 250. In the summer, I might let it go a little lower but 250 is usually my target.

Also, my cover is vented and in a hard or windy rain , some water does get in.

As far moving it- depends on how smooth the "road" is. Mine is in a table with wheels and it's very heavy. The Egg will wobble when I move it over uneven terrain, putting a little extra wear and tear on the feet and stone below. I wound up leaving it in one place and only moving it occasionally when I need to (like if it's too close to a basketball game)

If you get a nest for it, remember when moving to PULL IT. don't push or you'll wind up pushing it right over when a wheel gets caught in a crack or hits a pebble.
  • Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the good info. I am going to get a table. I hope that helps if I need to move it.

My back yard area, all of the paved area is pavers, if I do move it with a table, do I need to worry about tipping it over? I understand that if I get the nest, I am playing with fire. Is there a more stable and easier to move "cart?"

I did not even know I could get an umbrella...lol

Thansk for all the great info!
  • I have the nest with side tables. I have found the caster wheels adequate to the task of rolling it along my patio/carport/driveway, but it is fairly smooth concrete. As long as you move it slowly, it's fairly stable (pulling not pushing, of course). Currently, I keep it under the carport, uncovered. I opted for the nest/tables because it takes up less space, should I want to tuck it into a corner of the garage (like during a hurricane; don't laugh, I had to tuck it away multiple times in recent years).
  • Most of the table/carts are the same and are stable. mine has 10" wheels on one end and 2.1/2" HD casters on the other. The Egg is not in danger of tippping over in transit, but it will wobble when you hit any bumps.

Probably inflatable tires would help the smoothness of the ride- but if you're buying it and not making it, that won't be an option. The larger the wheels/casters the smoother the ride.
  • anything you do to protect it will be better than what i do, and my egg is unchanged after about six years of new england weather.

eggsinsnow.jpg
  • What Stripsteak said IMG_0447.jpg

Doug
  • Panhandle Smoker wrote:
    I usually cover mine but the are pretty hearty animals, they don't mind the rain. I usually wait until the dome is under 150 before I cover but most often the next morning. Where in Florida are you?

Thanks!

I am in the Orlando area
  • Village Idiot wrote:
    I put up a roof .... not to protect the egg, but for ME. Now, I can easily cook while it's raining

Does the smoke cause an issue when cooking under the roof?
  • Not a bit. I have an off-set BBQ pit and that puts out tons of smoke. That was a problem, but the egg doesn't really put out that much smoke.

It might be a problem if I was fully enclosed, but, as you can see, it's pretty open.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious