Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping Little Chef

Options
Panhandle Smoker
Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is a rib roast the same cut of meat used in a crown roast? I know that they are both ribs and this is probably a stupid question. I have been doing some reading on the crown roast and plan to do one for Christmas day. Beef or Pork? Both Frank and Clark have done pork and I have got to try one. Reading this post got me wondering.
http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=779308&catid=1

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Eddie...A Crown Roast is "typically" a bone in pork loin, with bones frenched (cleaned), and the roast wrapped and tied in a circle. (Usually takes more than one loin to make this happen) A crown roast can certainly be done with beef, or any other animal for that matter, as the "crown" is actually the presentation method. From an expense perspective, and tradition....pork is definately the "norm".
    Standing rib roast...aka Bone in "Prime" Rib....but technically can only be called a "Prime" Rib when it is prime grade beef. (Cant have prime grade pork or such, because they are graded on a different scale...) If the beef is less than prime grade, "Choice" etc....Standing Rib Roast, or just rib roast, is the normal vernacular. In other words, a big roast of bone in rib eyes. I certainly hope this makes some sense.... :blink: Let me know if you need more info please....sorry if this sounded scattered. :huh:
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    So if this were a beef cut it would be the bone in rib eye?
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Eddie...Yes...the bone in loin ....or bone in ribeye. Some may disagree with me, but from a classical standpoint, a CROWN roast is presented in a circular fashion, like a crown...regardless of the meat used. It is IMpossible to get a "crown" display with a 5-7 lb beef roast. I think this individual just took some "creative liberties".... :blink: ...and that is OK! And not that you asked, but I also feel the recipe is flawed....in that he is suggesting cutting large pockets into a standing rib (beef) roast to add herbs and such. :pinch: I would recommend herbs chopped fine and encrusted on the external of the muscle mass if you are in fact cooking a standing rib roast of beef. (I would even give in to injecting if I have to...but not big pockets cut for herbs and such....)
    A typical stuffed CROWN roast....as I said, is circular, bones sticking up like a crown, and the stuffing in in the center of the circle (generally done with pork). I do NOT agree with hacking a beef roast up to stick stuffings into the meat...as that is creating all sorts of places for the juices to seep out. Again...you didn't ask, but I feel pretty strongly about this. If you would like...since you seem to like this guys flavors...we can see if we can come up with a more reasonable recipe. I just don't agree with his techniques...and don't want to see you flush your good money down the drain with a juiceless hunk of roast. Probably a bit more than you wanted to hear....but you asked...and I speak my thoughts. :blush: There are way too many awesome methods out there for an awesome roast....don't start putting big gashes in your beef IMO. :S
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Thanks Michele, I do agree with you about cutting the meat and I had no intentions of doing that part especially with beef. I rarely follow any recipe to the T and often make subtle changes to my taste. Both Frank and Clark posted very good examples of their pork Crown Roast so trimming and rolling the crown look pretty straight forward. Before it is over with I may end up just going with the standing rib roast, Prime Rib is always a crowd pleaser. Thanks for the help. :)
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Eddie - I like Chef John Folse and have eaten at his restaurants several times but have to agree with the comments. Can't make a crown roast out of a 5-7 pounder and don't slash my beef. I would go with pork or lamb for a crown roast.

Your butcher can put the roast together for you. Mine did but simply frenched the ribs and tied two rows together. I took it apart, cleaned up the frenching, and relieved between the chops so the crown could be formed. http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=753161&catid=1

YB's process is eggcelent. I tried searching for YB's crown roast but couldn't find it - maybe he will chime in.