Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Long Does Yeast Last?

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

The post Saturday about the WS Kitchenaid special got me thinking I wanted to make some bread.

Decided to make some bread on the egg. I took some Saf-Yeast Instant Yeast out of the fridge, whipped up a batch of bread and the dough didn't rise very well.

I had a foil pack 1lb pkg of Saf-Yeast Instant Yeast. When we bought it we bought a case of the packages, I am guessing 10 or 12 packages. (A food storage thing).

Anyway I tossed that package and went down and got another. Thinking all of my storage yeast was bad I opened up a new package, got some warm water, sugar and yeast.

The bubbles start and all looks well. I knew I had the packages for a while so I got to looking to see if there was any dating.

Rather than fire up the egg, I am going to cook it in the oven just to see if there is any odd taste.

To my huge surpise Feb. 1980. In 2 months it will have been 30 years and it is still active.

I wonder if the yeast can be active but in some other way be bad. Any ideas?

GG

Comments