Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Talk her out of the Egg at Sam's

Options
Orio Kid
Orio Kid Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a friend that is thinking about buying the grill/egg combo at Sam's. I have told her to spend her money on a large BGE instead. I need more input. TELL HER!!!!!
Jake

Comments

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    Orio Kid,[p]Did you tell her about the forum....this is the greatest part...just good people here that like to share and help.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Orio Kid, just tell her that the combo is fine but that's a lot of extra money to spend just to get a stainless BGE tool storage container.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Orio Kid,[p]There's no real reason to get that one...you could get a large, medium, AND small egg for the price they want for the stainless combo. [p]And, if she's anything like me, she'll enjoy cooking on the egg much more than the gasser. The egg is easier to control, holds a temperature much better, and is more reliable. Plus, the food coming off of it, even if it's grilled (like it would be on a gasser) just tastes better. Plus, you have the added advantage of being able to do low and slows and things like pizza/breads, which the gasser can't do at all....[p]Talk her out of it!
    Tonia
    :~)

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Orio Kid,
    the only thing good about that gas grill being attached to the egg is that she'll have a handy place to store her tools. that's what i use my gasser for.[p]remind her.
    hotter sear, better flavor, and, yes, as fast.
    how is it as fast?
    well
    if you cook a steak correctly on the gasser, you need to start it up and let it get to temp, too. you ain't supposed to throw a steak on a gas grill 2 seconds after you start it.[p]it doesn't save you any time if you are interested in cooking it 'correctly', and since it can't get to 800 degrees, whatever time you think you are saving on start-up you more than make up for by searing on each side for 3 minutes and dwellin for 4

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Orio Kid,
    If she spends $700 on a large egg, she will have $800 left to buy a decent gas grill with IF SHE DECIDES SHE STILL WANTS ONE! The large is more versatile than the small (I have both by the way) and once she tries it, she may not want a gas grill. Either way, she has the option. YOU can get a lot of gas grill for $800. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    bigarms,
    You have just hit the nail on the head. Not only do we get and give information to one another (I mostly receive, sorry about that,LOLL) but we forgive when we misspell,double post or ask the same question twice. This is one hell of a family. ÜÜÜ[p]Regards,
    New Bob[p]

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Orio Kid,
    No,No,No,
    As much as I like the looks of the unit and you have the option of gas or the egg////////////// the way it's configured is a ****. You have to get on you knees' to reach in and adjust the lower vent. I considered buying this unit until I saw how unfriendly the egg portion was.[p]A non-egger won't realize it till they try to cook with it. If only they would have moved the egg forward and made the lower vent more accessible.[p]Nuff Said.[p]Regards,
    New Bob