Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket advice needed

Options
ViennaJack
ViennaJack Posts: 357
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of my coworkers asked me if I could smoke two briskets for a holiday party this week. She offered to buy the briskets. I said of course.

I'm not a huge brisket fan. I've done one in the 2+ years I've had my Eggs, and never any prior to that. My first and only came out pretty good. I followed the recipe in Dr. BBQ's Big Time BBQ Book.

I picked up the briskets from her on Friday, to wit:

IMG00070-20091213-2109.jpg

They are just under 11 pounds each, USDA Standard Grade from Restaurant Depot. They are a lot bigger than the one I cooked before, which was a flat from Costco. They will fit inside of my large Eggs, barely.

I have to get the finished product to the office by 9:00 AM Thursday. They will be served around noon. I'm planning to smoke them overnight, wrap them in foil and towels, and pack them in a cooler. I think I'm good to go with that.

What I'm not clear on is the best dome temp and approximate cooking time so I'll know what time they have to go on the Eggs on Wednesday. Also, they are big. They will fit on my large Eggs, but they will extend beyond the edge of the platesetter. My experience with this in the past is that any food that hangs over the edge of the platesetter tends to overcook. I'll try to position the briskets so they are protected, and put a little bit of foil underneath any areas that hang over the platesetter.

As a brisket rookie I'm also not sure if these are whole and include both the point and flat or if these are just big flats. Dr. BBQ says I should separate the muscles before serving if they are whole.

Oh, and I'm planning to rub with some "Big Time Rub" sometime Wednesday morning so they will sit with rub pretty much all day Wednesday until they need to go on.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Jack

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    I would get the extended rack to do those briskets. I would put one on the bottom and one on the top. I would do indirect at 235/245. They will take between 12 to 15 hours. I would error on the side of getting them done early as opposed to late. ButtBrisket-1.jpg
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    250 dome. 1-2 hours per pound. Probably closer to 1.5-2 hours. RD only sells Whole Briskets, least the ones I have been in do.

Personally I'd skip the foil and rotate the grill every 3 hours or so, but that means you need to watch them more.

Yes you should separate the pint from the flat. Put the point back in the Egg and smoke it some more. When it reaches 200 cut it in big chunks and serve it with some good sauce.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Also if you have a rib rack you might try drapping or somehow using that. If you have another grill, smaller, put one brisket on the main grill then the smaller grill right on top of the meat then the other brisket. Foil is what you should do when meats hang over the ps.
    Hope that is helpful.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • ViennaJack
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great tips. I'll post pics and results on Thursday.

Jack