Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Cheese Tips

civil eggineer
civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The thread below about smoking cheese has me salivating. It appears charcoal brichetes(sp?) are used instead of lump. There are many good tips but I would like "those in the know" to state a few pointers such as temp, wood selection, time, etc.

Thanks to all those who post and hopefully I have added a new wow to my eggsperience.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I like the Firetruck method.A metal can full of woodchips with a soldering iron stuck in it.Works great.I'm gonna smoke some tomorrow with maple or Jack Daniels chips or maybe a mixture of the two woods.Smoke for 1-1.5 hours.LOW temp.Less than 100 degrees.60 to 70 degrees is ideal in my opinion.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I like the method Hoss described also. No charcoal involved. Keep it between 70-90. Ice tray, unless it's very cold outside. Such a simple, yet fun cook.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Eggineer,
    I had a hard time coming across all natural briquettes, so I used at scaled down version of this setup. The photo below was actually for salmon, but I used the coffee can with only 4 or 5 pieces of lump, and only lit one piece. Once things were smoking I set the vents just like I would to get 250 degrees. Dome never got over 50 degrees. The full write up from the pros is on Naked Whiz's website link is below the pic. His write up is a much better guideline.

IMGP2969.jpg

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/smokedcheese/smokedcheese.htm
  • I use Kingsford. Instead of ice cubes, I freeze 2-2 liter bottles of water. The tonic water served its purpose :woohoo: so that is tap water. ;)
    My fav wood is the Sweetwood Blend. But you can't go wrong with any fruit wood. The key is to keep the smoke going at a lower temp for at least 90 minutes.
    Have fun.
    ch1001.jpg

Mike
  • As an alternative to briquettes, I use "used lump" meaning it's leftover from a previous cook. This keeps it from putting off "bad smoke". Just a few pieces is all that is needed. Once the lump is lit, I put cherry or maple chunks on it. One hour seems to do the trick. Temp is minimal because the cook is fast. It's really all about generating low temp smoke. Scott
  • I was thinking about the off gassing and using used lump before your post. Great minds think alike. ;)
  • Another benefit to used lump is it lights so easily. One other thing I thought of, is the Cabot cheeses are awesome. I buy a mix of them and include the pepper jack and habanero. Scott
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I have some smoking as we speak..and I have ALWAYS burned used lump..I figured I aint buying a bag of briquettes just to use 3 or 4 for smoking cheese..so I picked 2 or 3 closelely shaped pieces of used lump..hit em with the mapp torch..laid on a nice piece of apple wood..and they be a smokin away..done it mostly the same way every time...
  • :laugh: Cabot and Tillamook are my faves!!
    Monterey Pepper Jack is the best!!
    A higher quality cheese makes it!! :woohoo:
  • I have 7 chunks of Cabot going as we speak too Wess! 'Tis the season, Scott
  • WessB
    We give as gifts, smoked cheeses and home made beef jerky..can't make enough to keep em happy..and you're absolutely right..Tis the Season..4# cabot pepper jack..4# sharp cheddar..and some 3# provolone for a Christmas pizza party...gotta love it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I put baskets together with Canadian bacon, smoked cheese, crackers, and Mrs. Dog's Disappearing Mustard. -RP
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Reading all of these smoking cheese posts lately you all have made it one of those 'gotta try it' things. Thanks to all for the different ideas and methods. Looks like fruit woods are the smoke wood of choice so going to try one batch with persimmon and and one with apple. Mike
  • WessB
    Sounds like a perfect blend of flavors....look forward to seein you guys whenever the next time is.....
  • I bring smoked cheese and smoked fish spreads to holiday parties, and people tolerate me. It's great!
  • Hey Scotty!

so, you still got that original 2# can or have you worn it out and had to graduate... ;)

lotsa thxgiving/seasonal smoking going on here too, and i'm still working on that original 3# can. less filling, tastes great.

happy holidays!
    HS
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    I love Tillamook but am trying a different brand pepper jack for the ABT's cause one of my girls suggested it. :laugh:

Being it's mixed with Tillamook Xtra sharp cheddar and cream cheese,tobaco,horsehadish and whatever I guess it won't matter. :silly:

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Mrs. Dog's disapearing mustard is great. Can't say enough about it.

It's sweet, a bit of horsehadish, not too hot. Great stuff.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • I love her stuff, but she doesn't pack well. :(

Most of the orders I've placed have at least one item broken, and she doesn't reply to requests for any kind of reimbursement. Not a great customer service image.

HS
  • Yeah, if you don't have any briquettes lying around, you can use a few pieces of extruded coconut charcoal instead. Of course, I have a few pieces of just about everything lying around, :laugh:
    The Naked Whiz
  • Holy Smokes!! That's funny, beacuse I just retired the original 2 pounder last week. It was worn out--like a piece of paper. I replaced it with a nice one that came with some caramel popcorn. Definitely bigger.
    Cheers, Scott
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Scott, would you want to share your smoked fish dip recipe? I'd love to give it a try.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Smoking cheese I gota try this. :)
  • Here ya go:
    Spread, Fish, Smoked, Scotty's Inferno

INGREDIENTS:
    Smoked Fish
    Pickled Banana Peppers, chopped
    Sweet Relish
    Fresh ground Black Pepper
    Miracle Whip

Preparation :
    1 The reason there are no quantities here is because you do this one by feel and taste.
    2 In other words, you can't screw it up. I start by shredding some of my smoked salmon (see recipe in this cookbook). I then add a few tablespoons each of relish and banana peppers. Once I have a good looking mixture, I grind in a healthy quantity of black pepper. Finally, I add just enough Miracle Whip to bind all the ingredients together.
    3 Serve on a saltine cracker with a bottle of hot sauce handy.
    4 Other great additions include minced onion, minced chiles like serrano or jalapeno, and garlic powder

Recipe Type
    Appetizer

Recipe Source
    Author: Scott Borders

Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '08, Scotty’s Inferno, 2008/03/15
  • Di
    Di Posts: 395
    I agree with others that everyone here has made a believer that this is something I have to try.

One question, not sure I understand the purpose of the ice/frozen water bottles if you use the coffee can method. Living in Texas with warmer winter temps, is this something I would need to do?
  • I smoked 4 bricks of cheese this afternoon using the coffee can method. I used pre-burnt lump with apple chips. Outside temps where 10 degrees and immediately placed cheese on after lighting. Temps gradually increased over the 50 minute smoking time from
    (53-grid/38-dome) to (110-grid/101-dome). I tried numerous methods to shed heat like taking the daisy off or opening the top but it seemed to actually stimulate the burn and ultimately raising temps. I used apple chips some wrapped in foil pouches and some scattered on the lump.

Although this worked and I am happy with the overall results, I would use the ice bath if you don't have the advantage of artic temps. I can't wait to try therm in 7 days. Cheeses were: colby/montery jack, peppercorn jack, chedder, and mozzerella.