Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping moinkballs warm/hot?

Options
mkc
mkc Posts: 544
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm taking moinkballs to a friend's get-together this evening. First time making them. What's the best way to keep them warm in case they're done early and also once we get there - oven on warm, crockpot, other?
Egging in Crossville, TN

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Trying them for the 1st time today, too.....you may not be able to keep them warm 'cause there may not be any left on the way to the friend's house :evil:
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I've never traveled with them, but if I had to guess I'd say a crockpot. Seems like this would allow for the longest time of storage without having to reheat. Reheating might affect final texture. make sure you wrap the whole thing in a layer or two of towels. The lids on most of these are definitely the weak link.
  • mkc
    Options
    We're just going a few blocks over, so the transport isn't so much my worry as making sure I can keep them warm if they're done early and also once we're there (it's supposed to be grazing over a few hours).

I do have plenty of "quality control samples" built into the quantity I'm making ;)
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    What are Moinkballs ? They sound like they are made with fish.

Gary
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Nope, no fish. They are MOO OINK balls. Bacisally you go to the store and buy the frozen meatballs ( made of beef MOO), I like the Italian ones. Then wrap them in bacon (OINK), sprinkle with your favorite rub, and cook until the bacon is done. 350 dome elevated direct. When they are just about done you dip them in your favorite sauce and back on the egg to set the sauce.

They are a big hit on another forum. Once you cook them you can actually get a Moink baller certificate. Kinda like our Bubba Tim certificate.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Gary,

At the risk of sounding like a total jerk I have to ask a question. Do you actually read any of the posts on this site that are not responses to your own questions?

You have been asking a lot of questions that have been asked and answered ad nauseam. If you would take a little time to read other posts or search for answers you wouldn't be asking questions that others have asked over and over again.
  • mkc
    Options
    Popping back in to say that I apparently timed them almost perfectly B) , at 300-325 indirect on the raised grid it took about 50 minutes to reach 160 internal. Two small pecan chunks for the smoke.

I used Dizzy Dust as the rub, and dunked them in homemade Hatch hot pepper jelly as the glaze. They were ready about 5 minutes after the official "arrival time", so they were still hot when we got there. And they went so fast I didn't need to worry about keeping them hot.

Boy, that platesetter is going to need a good old fashioned burn-off tomorrow, between the bacon grease and the sugar from the jelly glaze!
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Don't you just luv it when a plan comes together. Glad it worked out. They are a crowd pleaser that's for sure.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    mkc...Great job, and nicely done! :) Glad they were such a great hit! :woohoo:
    For the future, conisider investing in a deep dish pizza pan or whatever to put on the plate setter to save the drippings on the plate setter. No worries though, with a good, true, high temp clean burn off, the plate setter will look like brand new! Just easier to have a drip pan that can be cleaned on a regular basis in a kitchen sink. ;)
    Again, congrats on a job well done!! :)
  • mkc
    Options
    Little Chef wrote:
    No worries though, with a good, true, high temp clean burn off, the plate setter will look like brand new! Just easier to have a drip pan that can be cleaned on a regular basis in a kitchen sink.

Hmmm... scrub something in the sink vs. let the Egg do the work - guess which camp I'm in :whistle:

Actually, about the time the bacon started to drip and sizzle I realized I should have wrapped the PS with foil or used the drip pan I use for meatloaf (a deep dish pizza pan that I wrap in foil so I don't have to scrub it afterwards.

I was just so darned excited to be making MOINK balls for the first time (which also made me forget the required the photo journalism needed to apply for my IMBAS certificate :pinch: )
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Lets see, I have had my EGG since June. I bet you have had your EGG a bit longer. I am still learning about EGG slang. So if I ask a question there is a reason. I do however go on the Search Forum to look up things. I just want to know.

Peace and Happy Holidays.

Gary
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    If you went to the search forum this is what comes up
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=search&searchword=moink+balls

I thought Fidel was very polite with his post about questions that are discussed and answered constantly. The forum is always here to help but sometimes a quick search will give you more than enough information.